Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Vibration / Buzzing Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:10 AM

Strange.. the noise you are hearing doesn't sound like the air intake issue.

I guess it could be the clutch, maybe the release bearing? I can hear my bearing as a rumble noise but only when stationary with the clutch depressed.

It may be the exhaust rattling a heat shield at this rev range, it might be worth checking to see if any are loose.

The German forum seems very good, apart from my complete lack of German language knowledge!

Old 07-29-2010, 02:26 PM

Well, I guess it's not the air filter. Took the air filter pipe off completely, taped the air filter in place to stop any nasties getting in and ran it round the block - still buzzing.

Had a look underneath the car, but there's not a lot to see and wiggle about, shields and covers all over the place!

The more I listen to it (as opposed to trying to ignore it) it sounds like it's coming from inside the car - and it's no louder with the window down.

Might have a dig around in the footwell and see what's about - getting to the bulkhead behind the engine is virtually a non starter!

Old 11-08-2010, 05:01 AM
Thumbs up

Well, it's taken a while but it's fixed. Like a story? Read on:

I took the car into the dealer mid August, described the problem, had the expected response of 'Oh, it'll be the air filter vibration', and I guess the first thing they tried was replacing the plastic clips holding the air filter pipe with self-tappers. Checking afterwards, that tied down the air filter a bit, but didn't get shot of the most irritating noise in the world....

Apparently the garage then had two guys on the job for most of the day a.) trying to reproduce the noise on the ramp and b.) trying to see what fixed it. They found that it appeared to be a faulty engine mounting, and a new one was ordered - that'd take a week or so as it was a special order item - which it then turned out no-one had ever ordered on in the UK before. Well, I could have walked to the factory and back in The Netherlands and got it myself in the 8 weeks it took for the part to arrive!

So in mid October the car went into the new engine mounting and...... wait for it...... no change, noise still there, I think the service manager was as gutted as I was! Three weeks later the car was in for it's 12,500 service and with some information (photos, description, etc.) supplied by Mitsi UK, the noise was finally eradicated. A bracket holding the intercooler can get bent under the torque of the engine causing the vibration and noise (presumably in connection with something else at the same time - large bump in road etc.).

So not only has the off throttle noise at 1500rpm gone, the loud roar from the air filter assembly under load at the same engine speed has gone, the engine is hugely quieter now!

So a big 'hats off' to Oak Tree Garages in Coventry for sticking to it and solving the problem when I guess many others would have given up! I've finally got the car I was expecting!

Old 11-08-2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by dashnine
So a big 'hats off' to Oak Tree Garages in Coventry for sticking to it and solving the problem when I guess many others would have given up! I've finally got the car I was expecting!
These are the kind of things I like to hear about.
I know we all have a bucket list with out vehicles - no matter what make - but it makes me feel better when I hear about a dealership going the extra mile.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:56 PM

Well, it's taken a while but it's fixed. Like a story? Read on:

I took the car into the dealer mid August, described the problem, had the expected response of 'Oh, it'll be the air filter vibration', and I guess the first thing they tried was replacing the plastic clips holding the air filter pipe with self-tappers. Checking afterwards, that tied down the air filter a bit, but didn't get shot of the most irritating noise in the world....

Apparently the garage then had two guys on the job for most of the day a.) trying to reproduce the noise on the ramp and b.) trying to see what fixed it. They found that it appeared to be a faulty engine mounting, and a new one was ordered - that'd take a week or so as it was a special order item - which it then turned out no-one had ever ordered on in the UK before. Well, I could have walked to the factory and back in The Netherlands and got it myself in the 8 weeks it took for the part to arrive!

So in mid October the car went into the new engine mounting and...... wait for it...... no change, noise still there, I think the service manager was as gutted as I was! Three weeks later the car was in for it's 12,500 service and with some information (photos, description, etc.) supplied by Mitsi UK, the noise was finally eradicated. A bracket holding the intercooler can get bent under the torque of the engine causing the vibration and noise (presumably in connection with something else at the same time - large bump in road etc.).

So not only has the off throttle noise at 1500rpm gone, the loud roar from the air filter assembly under load at the same engine speed has gone, the engine is hugely quieter now!

Great thread which I am lucky to have found as it is exactly the problem I have. I picked up a second have (08) Outlander Diamond on new year's eve and guess what - there is a strange vibration form the front left of the car usually on deceleration around 1,400 - 1,600 rpm. I read the posts with interest but wanted to clarify the one quoted above:
1) Are you saying the intercooler bracket fixed both noises or were they separate solutions with the foam insultation and cable ties required for the airbox part of the problem?
2) Can you share the informtion provided by Mitsubishi UK?

Mant Thanks,

LB

Old 02-07-2011, 05:14 AM

1) Are you saying the intercooler bracket fixed both noises or were they separate solutions with the foam insultation and cable ties required for the airbox part of the problem?

- My attempt using foam and cable ties only made a marginal improvement to the air box vibration, and nothing to the decel vibration. The dealers first fix was to secure the air intake tube a bit more professionally. This also only made it a little better and did nothing to the decel vibration.

Fixing the bracket killed the decel vibration completely and the air box vibration. No foam and ties in place now, just the dealers more secure location of the air intake tube (which didn't really change much) and a sorted bracket.

- The dealer escalated the problem to Mitsu UK, so only they had the details - I didn't actually get to see them in detail.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-07-2011, 01:46 PM

- My attempt using foam and cable ties only made a marginal improvement to the air box vibration, and nothing to the decel vibration. The dealers first fix was to secure the air intake tube a bit more professionally. This also only made it a little better and did nothing to the decel vibration.

Fixing the bracket killed the decel vibration completely and the air box vibration. No foam and ties in place now, just the dealers more secure location of the air intake tube (which didn't really change much) and a sorted bracket.

- The dealer escalated the problem to Mitsu UK, so only they had the details - I didn't actually get to see them in detail.

Hope this helps!
That's very interesting and does start to beg the question whether other owners have been treating the symptons rather than the root cause. Not saying that is definately the root case, but it would be strange for such an issue to get pass QA. Another interesting fact is my dealer made mention that this particular model was recalled as the turbo hose kept blowing off the engine so maybe the bracket in question became below standard based on the mod that fixed the original problem.

I'm going to pursue this with Mitsubishi UK and I'll update you on how it goes,

Thanks,

LB

Old 03-05-2011, 03:18 AM

It's been a few weeks and I am fairly convinced that I have the same issue with the intercooler bracket as dampening the air box / duct vibration still leaves me with the buzzing noise you described. So I went through to Mitsu UK who have helpfully given me advice on how the dealer can request how the bracket should be modified and I am currently sitting in the waiting area of dealer who are undertaking the work. They will also look at any residual vibration from the airbox / duct once this is fixed so fingers crossed.

Will update later,

LB

Old 07-27-2016, 04:20 AM

Anyone with similar issues care to post if they know which is the bracket in question and the steps to modify it, so the issue can be resolved? Thanks!

Old 03-19-2019, 02:44 PM
Default Vibration in the 2.0 or 2.2

Hi guys,

What type of engine do you guys have? Is it the 2.0 or the 2.2? I have this same problem in my 2.2. I've tried with the foam pads around the air intake which didn't solve the problem so I'm now thinking the intercooler. What needs replaced to solve this problem? Cheers