Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

wana swap out to a smaller motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 10:04 PM
Question wana swap out to a smaller motor

I got the 2003 Outlander running the 2.4L Inline 4 SOHC, but I'm wondering about going to a smaller motor. Specifically the Toyota Celica GT found in older Lotus Elise or early Exige. They run a 1.8L Inline 4. RPM's max out at different points depending on which Lotus model they were built for. I'm particularly fond of this motor. It does a good job at being reasonable on gas at low or typical driving RPM, but can preform well when you want it to pushing as far as 9000RPM (or about 8000RPM for models in the Elise)

It feels like a better idea to me than going up in cylinder or size. I don't necessarily need to consider their super charged models.

So whats the point of doing this at all? Honestly, it would just be fun to have a performance motor. I like small but high RPM motors.

even their super charged models don't produce much more than 240HP which should be within the range that the stock transmission can handle. However I'm sure there is a lot to consider, like the programming on the cars computer systems.

But I'm curious to see what you all think of this silly idea.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:09 AM

If you do go through with it, you have a lot of work ahead of you. That engine will not be a drop-in. You'll need custom mounts for the engine, some way of mating the engine to the factory transmission unless you plan to use the Toyota tranny. Also the engine management system needs to be integrated to the vehicle for your gauges to work properly unless you go with a stand-alone ECM like a Mega-Squirt. You'd be better off trying to build the factory engine or doing some sort of turbo kit if power is what your after.