Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Weird light dimming ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 03:11 PM

Hi,
I just noticed that you are in Canada. The US warranty goes 10 years, 100K miles for powertrain (engine/transmission), and the "everything warranty" is 5 years, 60K miles. I drive 30K a year - and bought it 3 months ago with 43K miles, so I'm already nearing 52K. With the huge amount of driving that I do, and with the miles quickly getting up there.
I've heard that the extended warranty is just a dealer push - but they didn't even mention it - I asked about it - I think it's more of a peace of mind thing for me knowing how much driving I do.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:47 PM

it's 10y PT (100mi/160km) - 5y (60mi/100km) bumper-to-bumper in Canada too, either they changed on their newer models or I have my numbers wrong...

Let's do some figuring...
End year 1 you will be at 72k. BTB will end, factory still intact, extended still good.
End year 2 you will be at 102k. Both factory warranty's will be wrapped, ext still good.
End year 3 you will be at 132k. All your warranty's are done (You said the new one ended at 125k)

So essentially you are paying $2,100 for 1 year of extra PT warranty (which is where the big bucks mostly lie and also where most of the moving parts are).
Or you are banking on something major going wrong inside the car in year 2 (extremely unlikely)
The car will only be 6 years old when you finally run out of warranty.

Honestly if it makes you feel better go for it but if I was in that situation I would put the $2,100 in my bank account and save it for when something really big goes wrong 5 or 6 years down the road. The dealers and the insurance companies that back those warranties don't do so to loose money. More often than not they keep your $2,100 and then the car actually starts getting old and things start falling off it your stuck footing the bill.

Also apparently if you take your car in for warranty work and they say X is normal and then after your warranty expires X breaks completely you can go back and have them fix it for free as you reported the problem during the warranty period.

Also if you do get the extended warranty find out what they actually cover and what they consider a "wear" item that you will sill be on the hook for. Read all the fine print and terms before signing or paying anything! Like I said those guys are not in business to loose money and they have no issues leaving you hanging if they can.

Last edited by Guyfromhe; 11-22-2015 at 05:56 PM.