Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Winter tires for 2016 outlander

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 11:53 AM
Default Winter tires for 2016 outlander

Hi

I'm thinking of investing in winter tires. I've lived in Boston and now Philly and have never had a set of winter tires. Accord and all seasons work fine in the city and my commute is 3 miles within city limits. Streets are always ploughed.

But now I have kids and I'm thinking the added safety is peace of mind. The question is if I should get size 16 or 17. I think most definitely not 18. Is the general Altimax good? I know blizzaks are the favorite but pricey.

Thanks for your thoughts. How well does the OEM tire work in winter?

Old 10-15-2016, 07:31 PM
Thumbs up Winter Tires

IMHO...you can never undervalue winter tires. As a Canadian I would never think otherwise. As far as what tire to use?...find a good reputable tire shop in your area...don't cheap out...a good set with rims is what you should buy.

Don't forget...you run winter tires in winter...you are saving wear and tear on your nice summer rims and tires. As for the stock tires they are just that..good in normal conditions.... not so much in winter...I was never fond of the term "All Season Tires"....I prefer to call them " 3 Season Tires".

Best of luck...drive safely.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:02 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nabwong
Hi

I'm thinking of investing in winter tires. I've lived in Boston and now Philly and have never had a set of winter tires. Accord and all seasons work fine in the city and my commute is 3 miles within city limits. Streets are always ploughed.

But now I have kids and I'm thinking the added safety is peace of mind. The question is if I should get size 16 or 17. I think most definitely not 18. Is the general Altimax good? I know blizzaks are the favorite but pricey.

Thanks for your thoughts. How well does the OEM tire work in winter?

I would go Yokohama, Cooper, Falken or Michelin

Tire Products - Discount Tire Direct

Old 10-19-2016, 11:28 AM

Nokian WRG3 "All Weather" will be the perfect tire for you. Never take them off the vehicle.

Nokian WR G3 Winter Tires Review - Consumer Reports News

It even has the snowflake symbol and performs better in snow than some winter snow tires.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:09 PM

Bridgestone are great too, what exact size are you looking for?

Old 10-19-2016, 06:50 PM

What size do you guys use? I want to at least go down 1 size. So 17. Does anyone use 16?

Old 10-19-2016, 09:57 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nabwong
What size do you guys use? I want to at least go down 1 size. So 17. Does anyone use 16?
I have used 16s to get extra tire thickness.

Old 10-20-2016, 01:47 AM

I had the General Altimax Arctics on my Sonata and loved them. I had them just for cold winter seasons, and they performed awesome. On the Sonata, I could only go down to 17's due to the brake size. you could get away with 16's "IF" you can clear the suspension and brake parts.
I run 19's with wider performance tires during most of the year, and am using the stock wheels N tires for winters on my 16. The wifes 14 still has the same Toyo's as my newer model, and she's done just fine, but, you get more snow than we do in Nebraska, so having an actual "snow" tire set makes sense. Altimax tires are great for wear, and mine had 3 seasons on them and still looked new when I traded them off with the car. I would recommend one size narrower.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:24 PM
Kip

+1 on the Nokian all weather 4 season winter rated tires. U can run them all year and never have to worry about it. I just put a set of 4 on my Mitsu. Cost was $900 cdn all in.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:08 AM

Wow. These nokian tires are interesting. I only drive in the city where roads are ploughed. I may get these. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Winter tires for 2016 outlander