New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Hello! Might be buying an outlander GT soon

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 10:59 PM
Default Hello! Might be buying an outlander GT soon

Hi

I'm new to Mitsubishi. Well technically I haven't owned one but I'm kinda close. I'm looking to get a 2016 outlander gt. Going to the dealer this week to do an extended test drive. They're letting me take it home and drive my regular commute. Couple of questions.

1. The price I got so far is $28,000 before tax and incentives. I'm thinking that maybe I can do a bit better. What do you think? Base, no navigation or safety tech.

2. They have 0% for 72 months. I think I'll go with that if approved. Otherwise I have a 1.9% as backup with the local credit union.

3. Anyone regret buying one? Everybody and their grandmother is telling me I'm gonna regret it. But I've driven it for 15 mins and I like it.

4. Does the mivec engine drone bother you? It's a con for me but maybe I'll grow into it. My brother had a lancer and it was the same sound.

5. Are there any aftermarket parts for the outlander? Ok M having trouble finding any.

6. Anything I should look out for during the test drive?

Thanks!

Last edited by nabwong; 07-05-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:14 AM

Year? Miles?
Why the Outlander GT? What are you hoping to get out of it?

My 2013 SE was a better buy than a new one for quite a few reasons. It is a better vehicle with a better engine, and a proven transmission, and no customer complaints or known issues. (It being $10K less didn't hurt either, but that was not the deciding factor.) Read the owners' reviews and you will see multiple reasons why. (Not to mention I liked the style, shape, and rear drop liftgate. The '13 is also roomier. It also drove better than a new one.)
That said - Mitsubishi is an excellent make - just make sure you do your homework and research. Don't be afraid to go a few years older if it's a better buy, like I did.
There are not many mods to choose from - I did not buy my car with this in mind, however. It was very difficult finding tires that I liked, that fit, for example.
Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by The Silent Seed; 07-05-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:22 PM

Oops. Added the year. 2016. My current car is a 2002 Honda accord. My wife has a 2002 Crv. We're gonna keep this thing 10 years.

I'm not really concern about 0-60 or lane departure etc. I'm looking for convenience and reliability but I also want to make sure the car has enough power when 5 people are inside. I'm not going to change cars every 3-5 years. Which is why I'm taking my time to purchase a car. If it takes months, it will take months. At the end of 10 years, any car I buy will have no value right?

The reasons I chose the outlander is

1. CUV. I live in center city Philly. Roads are small, parking spots are smaller. We have 1 garage and 2 cars. So one of us parks outside. Parallel parking is much easier with a cuv than an SUV.

2. 7 seats. We are a family of 5. Wife, 2 kids and grandma. Sometimes we have family visiting. So it's nice to have the extra 2 seats for dinner.

3. Warranty. 5y b2b and 10y power train.

4. Features. Power tailgate, folding side mirrors, leather, v6, fosgate 710watt sound, wiper de-icer, s-awc.

5. Reliability. Old engine. Issues ironed out.

6. Price. Around $27-28k. To me, it's an ok value.

7. Looks. I like how it looks. I like the front end. I like the wheels. I like the color. I like the size.

8. 0% 72 months. Free money.

9. Good crash rating.

The only thing I am unsure about is the mivec engine sound. It is a bit of a low drone and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I'm trying to be as logical and pragmatic about the buying process as I can. I can't find another vehicle that is better that fits these factors.

In asia, there are many more similar vehicles like the VW touran, Honda stream, Toyota wish, mazda5 (7 seats, US only 6 seats), etc. None of these compact cars are available in the US.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:44 PM

Take my words at face value then - you like what you like. You did ask.

Definitely read the reviews. There are some things that are frankly, glaring.

The GT will be much more thirsty, for not much more power.

The "issues" may be ironed out in certain areas, but then there are at least 100 new "improvements" that are not proven.

You seem to be resistant to what "everybody and their grandmother" and actual owners have to say - so - bless you - do what you are happy with, and deal with the consequences as they come. Good luck.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:35 PM

Just had a good look at the 2016 GT when I was in having my 15 Outlander SE serviced.
Looks great...has a ton of features...great sound system...7 seats..tho 2 are kid size..firm leather seats. Here in Canada it goes for around $38,000 plus tax...I knowww.. we get hosed here big time on vehicles...for my needs its a bit of overkill..I don't need a V6..2.4 works just fine for me.

At the end of the day it's all about personal preference....take that good long overnight test drive..do your regular route...then sleep on it. I'm totally biased when it comes to Mitsubishi..these cars are great for me. Best of Luck !!

Last edited by Lancerguy2013; 07-05-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:50 PM

Hi

Thanks for your inputs. Really appreciate it. Bummer about the price in Canada. But if anyone can empathize, it would be me. I'm originally from Singapore and the outlander would cost $170,000. Yes $170,000.

I just test drove the car today for 5 hours. Took it home and ran some errands. It just fit my garage which tells me that the pilot or the cx-9 would not. So that's a plus. Overall I like the car.

Some cons, the lift gate opens a little too high and touches my garage ceiling. So I had to open it the manual way. The leather seat is a little hard. I wonder if the leather would soften over time. The car is a little thirsty but it's not too bad for me. My commute is 5 miles max. The car feels plenty powerful and nimble for me. It's a little narrower in width than my 02 crv. Maybe 2 inches.

The price I'm shooting for is $29,000 otd. Right now we're at $30,000. I had to leave negotiations today to pick up my son. Will be back Saturday. Any tips? Fair deal?

2016 outlander gt in mercury gray. Options are remote start, hood protector and all weather mats. Trying to get a tonneau cover thrown in.

Last edited by nabwong; 07-06-2016 at 06:52 PM.