New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

nOOOOb!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 09:28 PM
Default nOOOOb!

Hey y'all!
I joined this forum because I've inherited another project- a 2000 Montero Sport LS 4WD. It's my girlfriend's car. She bought it a little less than a year ago from a small used car lot, and has ben paying the lot's "mechanic" to "fix" a few small issues. I convinced her to let me check out a few things because she has a persistent SES light that comes on very soon after this dude "fixes" the issue. This most recent trip, he supposedly cleaned the upper intake, replaced the spark plugs (car has 167K miles), replaced all filters, and maybe one or two other items. The SES light is for the EGR (P0400). He cleaned the valve and erased the code, and told her if it came back on he'd replace the valve. He ended up replacing the valve, but the code is still on.
This prompted me to get involved. After crawling in and around it all day yesterday, I found the following:

1) Air filter is far too filthy to have been recently replaced
2) Fuel filter looks original to the car
3) The intake appears to have been messed with as the bolts indicate. Did not pull the spark plugs to inspect. I hope he actually changed ALL of them cuz a few look to be involved.
4) Inner tie rod ends have been replaced, outers are very crusty
5) Front tires have excessive negative camber
6) Right taillight brighter than left
7) Plug hanging near transfer case (4WD light constantly flashes)
8) Brakes at all four corners need pads/turned rotors

There's a few other questionable points, but I'll address them in their appropriate forum. The "mechanic" was recently fired from that car lot, and he's definitely fired from touching this thing any more. I have virtually zero experience working on Mitsubishis. Other than my mechanical inspection yesterday, I installed a nice Pioneer head unit so she can sync her phone to it and listen to her Pandora. I also replaced all four speakers cuz the originals were decomposed.

Anyway, this is me and where I'm at with this thing. I belong to s10forum, and always help any way I can over there. I hope to get the same help in return here.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:04 PM

youd be lucky.
I'd be going around to this mechanic to "collect" the work owed.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:27 AM

Welcome.......

Old 03-25-2015, 05:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Hello there and welcome to the community! I'm sure you will find a lot of useful information here, so don't hesitate to ask.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:10 AM

Welcome to Mitsubishi Forums !