New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

technical help 1999 Eclipse GS 2.0 DOHC

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 04:56 PM
Default technical help 1999 Eclipse GS 2.0 DOHC

Trying to fix son-in-law's car. Please help. The mileage and speedometer does not work. The RPM's do work. The automatic transmission stays in low gear. Can't find either speed sensor location or does this transmission have a cable? And do you think the speedometer, the mileage and the gear shifting problem are all one sensor. Service engine light came on when this problem began. Transmission is a K85435583432 from Kokomo.

Old 07-29-2006, 11:41 PM
Default RE: technical help 1999 Eclipse GS 2.0 DOHC

Damn, I'm one year too late to reply.
This same exact problem is happening to my Wife's '99 Autmatic Eclipse RS.
Same crap, no speed showing, RPMs work, and it doesnt want to shift to higher gears.
It idles fine in Neutral, but if you are coming to a stop the RPMs drop, pauses at 400-500rpms and then
wants to die. Only way to avoid this is to shift to neutral.
Oh, and I noticed that there is some sort of fresh fluid all over underneath the car, coating everything around
the underneath of the tranny, including the catalyc converter (causing it to smoke while hot). I suspect it to be tranny fluid, but I checked the tranny fluid and it actually overfilled (wasnt me).
Also, just before this problem my check engine light came on. And for some reason, my coolant is disappearing.
The temp gauge displays normal temp. The coolant isnt leakin anywhere I can see...and not on my driveway at all...dont know if this has anything to do with it.

Old 07-30-2006, 05:13 AM

ORIGINAL: andre2000

It idles fine in Neutral, but if you are coming to a stop the RPMs drop, pauses at 400-500rpms and then
wants to die.
this part sounds to me like a torque converter clutch solonoid. In fact, Im 99% sure of it.

Old 07-30-2006, 10:16 AM

get the cel read and go from there

Old 07-30-2006, 12:20 PM

ORIGINAL: andre2000

Damn, I'm one year too late to reply.
This same exact problem is happening to my Wife's '99 Autmatic Eclipse RS.
Same crap, no speed showing, RPMs work, and it doesnt want to shift to higher gears.
wants to die. Only way to avoid this is to shift to neutral.
Oh, and I noticed that there is some sort of fresh fluid all over underneath the car, coating everything around
the underneath of the tranny, including the catalyc converter (causing it to smoke while hot). I suspect it to be tranny fluid, but I checked the tranny fluid and it actually overfilled (wasnt me).
Also, just before this problem my check engine light came on. And for some reason, my coolant is disappearing.
The temp gauge displays normal temp. The coolant isnt leakin anywhere I can see...and not on my driveway at all...dont know if this has anything to do with it.
the problem is a failing output speed sensor on the trans.

very common issue on the 99s.

also, the oil is probably from the headgasket leaking externally. Very common on all the 420a eclipses.

Old 08-02-2006, 06:48 PM

Heres what I found out.
I finally found the location of the Speed Sensor. Yes, that was the problem and Guess what?
Its only a $22 part! It's amazing all the disinformation I encountered, which made this easy 15min job
into a 2 day ordeal. Haynes just flat out sucked for these cars. Its weird because its usually the best manual out there. Finally I went and looked at a chilton manual for 90-98 Eclipses. I found a diagram of the '98 2.0L Non-Turbo Automatic. It showed me the same harness that I saw in my Tranny, and right there was "Output Speed Sensor" and "Input Speed Sensor". I ran home, and I got a message from someone on another forum confirming what I just discovered. So I called the dealer and gave them my Vin# so they could search and give me
the correct part # and they were still wrong. The guy told me that it was $96 and since I didnt want to get screwed
again with disinformation I drilled him about it. I asked, "Ok, there should be two speed sensors, does it show you that? I need the Output one" and he says, "Who told you that? I never heard that!" I was just like uh-oh, I'm glad I drilled this guy. I made sure he had everything correct..."Is it for Auto '99 RS Eclipse/not 4WD?" He said "ya ya, this is the part you need, and we need to order it".

I didnt trust him, so I pulled my output sensor and called him back with what I thought was the part number on it.
"Its a hit" he says,
I ask "What does it say?"
"Automatic Speed Sensor" he says.
So I give him the part number to the input speed sensor, and he says its the same thing.
Anyways, they didnt have it in stock, so I called another dealer out of town, they didnt either.
But they were much nicer and helpful and I asked for them to see if they had the same part under Chrysler.
Yup! They had it! And in stock! $22...beats a $96 useless part anyday!

Name:  SpeedSensor.png
Views: 205
Size:  404.9 KB
I'll start a seperate thread about my oil leak problem.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:00 PM

Dont know why the first image got shrunk like that.
Anyways, it says from left to right
Input Speed Sensor, Output Speed Sensor.
The Big Black Thing is "Transaxle Range Sensor"
In the middle it says "Solenoid and Pressure Switch, shown removed here."

Old 08-03-2006, 02:20 PM

awesome man
nice drilling too!
goodjob to ya