Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

possibly first ever turbo setup?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Default possibly first ever turbo setup?

alright, i have a 2005 mitsubishi eclipe gt which is the 6g72 motor. i know that the 3000 gt came with a 6g72t motor. what i would like to know is if anybody knows whether the turbo setup off the 3000gt would fit my eclipse (i know that i would have to do a full engine rebuild, with forged internals and everthing for the turbo setup and i will, along with the transmission) but before i go out and buy the setup off a 3000gt i would like to know if its a waste of my time or not.
thank you.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:17 PM

I think that would be pretty bad a** I've always been a fan of the 3000gt but the downside to them was/is the weight issue. .but I'm pretty sure the 3rd gen eclipse is lighter. That thing would scoot! Haha. I'll definitely be tracking your progress. Good luck

Old 11-17-2010, 09:08 AM

ya, im not sure when it will be, i gotta look more into how much the turbo setup would cost me, im thinking not too much. the only expensive part would be the motor rebuild. im getting the transmission built next week, new clutch, and internals. im hoping this summer ill be setting it up.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:33 PM

interesting and good idea, but youd probably be better off just building your motor and getting a turbo for it (vr4's has needle bearing turbo's trust me you want a ball bearing one) good luck with your build and with attempting to bring some respect to a 3g

Old 01-17-2011, 09:40 PM

Is there any updates on this. ?

Old 01-19-2011, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Well other than needing to replace the ECU with the turbo model, swap out the exhaust and intake manifolds, and install all the parts related to the turbo (intercooler, piping, oil and coolant lines, etc) I would imagine most things would bolt right up. You'll likely have to have SOME things custom made. Not sure if the exhaust manifold would fit in the engine bay properly, the exhaust would definitely not work, the intercooler piping wouldn't work either and the intercooler itself may or may not fit. Otherwise if you rebuild the engine with the proper components and replace the injectors with ones that are larger I don't see why it wouldn't work just fine.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:31 PM

I am doing the same thing with my eclipse gs(420a) I am also turboing it. I am just letting you know it is a rich mans game you are playing it is going to cost a ton of money. You have to be serious and not be a quiter on a project of that magnitude and your almost going to get obsessed with the project believe me. If your as crazy as I am I give you hope and a quick word of advice. make sure you upgrade your injecters and fuel pump. Buy a high volume oil pump and a good water pump. If your serious and you arent a quiter Post some pics when your done brotha.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:42 PM

ya its gonna be expensive and will take some time to get it all going since its still my daily driver. im just gonna take my motor and re build it, new internals, fuel system (pump, injectors, ect.) get custom exhaust. as far as the intercooler im just going to buy a new one and buy the piping. alot of the parts i decieded instead of fabricating them to fit i will just buy new. im also playing with the idea of doing a twin charged motor. have a supercharger runing around 8 pounds of boost with twin turbos together doing about 12-14 pounds. its going to have the forged internals to run it and by then it wont be daily driven.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

If it's your daily driver, I would definitely get a spare block and build that up then just do a swap. Swapping an engine shouldn't take more than a day if you're industrious and get a friend or 2 to help. But pulling the engine out rebuilding it the RIGHT way and reinstalling it will take quite a bit longer.

Go to a junkyard and get a good block and head and take it all apart (make SURE you keep the crank caps in order and put them back on EXACTLY how you took them off unless you plan on getting the crank journals line bored and go with oversized bearings) and rebuild it in the garage as you get parts/time. This isn't something you want to just slap together trust me. Research engine building especially on a used block/crank you'll need to get tools and materials. I can't remember what the stuff is called but it's essentially used to test the gap when you put your rods and caps on and whatnot... There's ALOT to it take it slow do it right.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:45 PM

Plus one on Sanguinius's reply.

Quick Reply: possibly first ever turbo setup?