Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

"Cool Cars We Miss"

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Default "Cool Cars We Miss"

Check this article out...I found it on my MSN page this morning..It's called "Cool Cars We Miss" and tells a little about each one...Brings back some memories about some cars we may have forgotten about....Here's the link:
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...;topart=sports

Old 12-15-2007, 01:08 PM
Default RE: "Cool Cars We Miss"

Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 (1991 - 1992)
The Galant VR-4 is another limited-edition machine with a cult following. Mitsubishi created a wicked sleeper by grafting the turbocharged, all-wheel-drive 4G63 powertrain from the first-generation Eclipse / Talon into a monochromatic four-door Galant sedan.

thats the one i like,

Old 12-15-2007, 06:15 PM

I think no one haven't miss the nsx yet, because its just to much and still in production but seen like it doesn't exist.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:53 PM

I really dont even miss the NSX... THe GNX on the other hand (and GN for that matter) I grieve over daily. Why would Buick choose to throw that away??

Old 12-15-2007, 10:11 PM

is the GNX the Grand National ?? jw, if so, ya i like those cars, they are beasts

Old 12-15-2007, 10:27 PM

Buick GNX was a Grand National with a few extras... Here ya go, courtesy of Wikipedia:

By 1985, the Grand National was acquiring a reputation as a modern muscle car, but the days of the G-body were numbered. For the final year, 1987, Buick introduced the GNX at a $10,995 premium. Produced by McLaren/ASC, Buick underrated the GNX at 276 hp (206 kW) and a very substantial 360 lb-ft (488 N·m) of torque which gave this car a 0-60 time of 5.3 seconds.[1] This was created so as to be "Grand National to end all Grand Nationals," as the next model year converted the chassis to front-wheel drive, which, Buick engineers admitted, simply wouldn't be able to put down that much power. Changes made included a special Garrett ceramic-impellered turbocharger connected to a more efficient intercooler and a specially coated up pipe. A specific computer chip, low-restriction exhaust with dual mufflers, reprogrammed Turbo Hydramatic 200-4R transmission with a custom torque converter and transmission cooler, and unique differential cover/panhard bar included more of the performance modifications. Exterior styling changes include vents located on each front fender, 16 inch black mesh style wheels with VR-speed rated tires, and deletion of the hood and fender emblems. The interior changes of the GNX included a serial number on the dash plaque and a revised instrument cluster providing analog Stewart-Warner gauges, including an analog turbo boost gauge.

The acceleration performance of the GNX outpaced the factory's power claims: 0-60 mph (97 km/h) took just 4.7 s with a 13.4 s/104 mph (167 km/h) quarter-mile. According to contemporary sources, these numbers made the GNX the fastest production sedan ever built. This claim is somewhat controversial—the car had two doors but its interior volume and structure made it a sedan rather than a coupe, and just 547 examples were built. GNX #001 is currently owned by Buick and sometimes makes appearances at car shows around the US. Although many quicker cars have been built, including a number of quicker modern sedans, its performance was truly impressive for the time. A contemporary Porsche 930 hit (97 km/h) in 5.0 seconds and ran the quarter mile in 13.6 seconds, roughly equivalent to the GNX, which cost much less and could out-accelerate the naturally-aspirated 911 of the day. Ironically, many believe that these performance numbers were the reason the GNX was axed. GM didn't want one of its own cars outperforming its flagship, the Corvette, and pulled the plug on the Buick program. The muscle cars of the 1960s had the power to beat the GNX, but the tires of the time could not transform this into speed, not to mention the numerous techniques employed in the GNX allowed the car to transfer all the power to the ground, such as a ladder bar that ran from the mid-section of the car to the rear axle, so as to increase traction. This is also the reason why a GNX will actually lift the rear end up when the car is about to launch heavily. The GNX never made much of a road-track competitor to cars like the 911, but it could certainly hold its own on a drag strip.

Another amazing aspect of the Buick Grand National and GNX is the ease of upgrading performance. As electronic technology increased in automobiles over the years, with the implementation of forced induction(such as turbochargers and superchargers) and chips controlling the many aspects of the car, increasing performance became that much easier. Simply by spending under a hundred dollars on a race chip and increasing the boost could drop the Grand National’s quarter-mile time from its stock fourteen second range into the high twelve-second range. This alone makes the Grand National a very formidable opponent on the drag strip. Other easy upgrades include installing a larger turbocharger or purchasing larger fuel-injectors capable of supplying the engine with more fuel. The affordability and effectiveness of these upgrades made the Grand National a very popular car for drag-racing. In recent times with stock Corvettes producing quarter-mile times in the eleven second range, Grand Nationals provide an easy way to overcome the current “bad-boy” muscle cars. One can purchase a Grand National and upgrade it for far less money than buying a modern high-performance car and easily produce much quicker quarter-mile times.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:42 PM

I would do horrible unforgivable things to get a vr4 galant.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:58 PM

Id mudwrestle "divine" (Yea, thats right the he/she from such great films as "Pink Flamingos" and "female trouble") naked for a GNX, lol. Thats pretty horrible and unforgivable.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Dodge Omni GLH FTW!!! I've had 3 Omnis and they're ALL miniature TANKS!

I'm depressed that the Starion and the Conquest TSi aren't on that list

Old 12-18-2007, 06:13 PM

ORIGINAL: jpmontero98

Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 (1991 - 1992)
The Galant VR-4 is another limited-edition machine with a cult following. Mitsubishi created a wicked sleeper by grafting the turbocharged, all-wheel-drive 4G63 powertrain from the first-generation Eclipse / Talon into a monochromatic four-door Galant sedan.

thats the one i like,
Thats what I was thinking.. I didnt really know to much about them till a friend of mine introduced me to a guy with a VR4 that was pushing around 700 hp.. I dont think he ever lost a street race while he had that car together... (Thankfully he blew the motor, and I bought his fuel setup/venom intake manifold for my next project)

But even after that, my buddy bought that one, and another one just in the last year, and the cars suprise the hell outta me.. I wouldnt mind having one for a winter daily driver/ sleeper..