PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

1997 Mitsubishi Gallant ES/304k miles - Fuel delivery sporatic

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Default 1997 Mitsubishi Gallant ES/304k miles - Fuel delivery sporatic

The car cranks and cranks but won't start. So I pulled the fuel line off the fuel rail and put newpaper under it to see if it would get wet with fuel. First 2 - 4 second crank, nothing. No fuel on paper. Then I crank it again and there IS fuel on the paper. Maybe like there is a pressure leak. Or a short in the pump itself. I can't check the fuel pressure with the fuel line connected to the fuel rail because this car didn't come with a shrader valve. So I'm thinking there either is a leak in one of the tubes going to the fuel pump or the fuel pump has got some kind of short in it. Anyone got any ideas?

Oh yeah, don't know if this makes any difference, but I did not have any problems until I let the car idle to charge up the battery and forgot about it and it ran the tank out of gas.

Last edited by Toddo; 12-02-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Toddo
I let the car idle to charge up the battery and forgot about it and it ran the tank out of gas.
dont do that.

as for your problem. COULD be a connection thing.
or, could be air in the lines. fill the tank, switch key to ON (if fuel pump runs while on?) until fuel is at the lines (above the cyls), plug the hose back on and you're good to go. if pump wont run at ON, you need to bleed the fuel lines..

Old 12-04-2013, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Akzle
as for your problem. COULD be a connection thing.
or, could be air in the lines. fill the tank, switch key to ON (if fuel pump runs while on?) until fuel is at the lines (above the cyls), plug the hose back on and you're good to go. if pump wont run at ON, you need to bleed the fuel lines..
Not only did I leave the car running until it ran out of fuel, but I didn't realize it till days later. The key was still in the ON position, the battery was dead, and the car was run out of fuel. I would think the FP would have to come on whenever the ignition is in the on positioin to keep the fuel pressure up on a "start up". Meaning, since the key was left in the ON position, the fuel pump kept running even after it ran out of fuel, all the way till the battery died. But the fuel pump can't be totaly burned out because it will push fuel up the line intermitantly. Don't know what to do.

If air in the line is causing the problem, then all I should need to do is make sure there is plenty of gas in the tank, remove the fuel line from the fuel rail and then get somone to crank it over and over while I hold a cup under the end of the fuel line to catch the fuel. That should push fuel through the line and any air in the line right up the fuel line and out the end of the fuel line I would hope.