PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

2000 montero random no start???

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 10:31 AM
Default 2000 montero random no start???

Gentleman, I need help, ok I have a 2000 mitsubushi montero 3.0 doing something strange, so what its doing is a random no start, the other day I was running around and the monty was starting running great, then I made one more stop came back out and it would not start, it was getiing spark cause it was trying to catch but no go, seemed like a fuel problem, trying for 2 hours to get it to start but wouldn't go, so I had to get a tow home. Next morning I get up to figure what happened, and damned if it didn't start and run fine, ok, so I scanned it no codes, so what the heck is going on? Anyone else experience this? Hope yall can help... thanks

Old 11-28-2015, 10:05 PM

I have the same problem with my 2001 XLS 3.5, about every once in a while it won't start. I realized that the fuel pump was not on. A little while later the fuel pump works and it starts fine. I have not been able to find the fuel pump solenoid. Any suggestions? I hope this gives you a place to start.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:30 AM

There is probably a relay for the fuel pump in either the dash fuse panel or the hood fuse panel.

Generally there is a map of the relays/fuses embossed on the plastic cover.

It's pretty unusual (not impossible) for a relay to be intermittently bad though, generally once they break they are dead for good.

The fuel pump is probably in the tank. It would be best to check for voltage at the connector and make sure it's getting power when its' not running... If it is you will haev to drop the tank and bench test the pump.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:28 AM

I checked for voltage at the fuel pump and had none that I is why I was considering the relay. Are there other points in the starting sequence that would stop voltage from going to the Pump?

Old 12-02-2015, 04:26 PM

Do you have an immobilizer or something aftermarket?

I wouldn't expect so...

If you have a factory immobilizer check for a security or key light on the dash board.. see if that changes the way it flashes when it does vs when it doesn't start.

Did you find the fuel pump relay? It's probably under the hood with the main fuses.
If you found it and there is an identical relay in there swap them and see if that helps the problem and if the problem moves... Make sure it's the same type of relay and keep in mind orientation if it fits more than one way.

If the car is cranking it should be pumping fuel, if it's in on it will likely prime for a few seconds and then switch off if you don't start it.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:17 PM
Default Could it be the fuel pressure regulator

Originally Posted by njoehow246
Gentleman, I need help, ok I have a 2000 mitsubushi montero 3.0 doing something strange, so what its doing is a random no start, the other day I was running around and the monty was starting running great, then I made one more stop came back out and it would not start, it was getiing spark cause it was trying to catch but no go, seemed like a fuel problem, trying for 2 hours to get it to start but wouldn't go, so I had to get a tow home. Next morning I get up to figure what happened, and damned if it didn't start and run fine, ok, so I scanned it no codes, so what the heck is going on? Anyone else experience this? Hope yall can help... thanks
Now its doing something else weird...when driving down the road it just dies ill be crusing ar 60 or 70 and boom it dies....I pull over it starts right back up...this has happened several times, and it always starts back up, someone told be could be the fuel pressure regulator as I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filters, all the injectors, plugs wires...and help is appreciated

Old 12-03-2015, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Guyfromhe
Do you have an immobilizer or something aftermarket?

I wouldn't expect so...

If you have a factory immobilizer check for a security or key light on the dash board.. see if that changes the way it flashes when it does vs when it doesn't start.

Did you find the fuel pump relay? It's probably under the hood with the main fuses.
If you found it and there is an identical relay in there swap them and see if that helps the problem and if the problem moves... Make sure it's the same type of relay and keep in mind orientation if it fits more than one way.

If the car is cranking it should be pumping fuel, if it's in on it will likely prime for a few seconds and then switch off if you don't start it.
What about the ASD relay ive heard that this could cause this problem?

Old 12-03-2015, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Montana
I checked for voltage at the fuel pump and had none that I is why I was considering the relay. Are there other points in the starting sequence that would stop voltage from going to the Pump?

Check the ASD relay (automatic shut down) ive read on the Internet this could also cause this problem

Old 12-03-2015, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by njoehow246
Now its doing something else weird...when driving down the road it just dies ill be crusing ar 60 or 70 and boom it dies....I pull over it starts right back up...this has happened several times, and it always starts back up, someone told be could be the fuel pressure regulator as I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filters, all the injectors, plugs wires...and help is appreciated

For those of you having this problem I totally figured it out it was not fuel related it was ignition related so what I found out was that there is a known issue on the monteros for the main plug from the PCM to the coil pack coming loose in factory put a clamp lock on this plug so I went out and checked mine and sure enough it pulled apart with little to no effort, so I plugged it in til it snaped and then put a zip tie around it, it was losing connection and causing no start and random dying now runs great no problem

Last edited by njoehow246; 12-03-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:05 AM

Alas my victory was short lived it randomly died again and restarted several times went somewhere parked it now no start wont start at all ready to sell this POS!

Quick Reply: 2000 montero random no start???