PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

Carisma 1,8 GDI fuel pressure sensor problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 11:36 AM
Default Carisma 1,8 GDI fuel pressure sensor problem

Hi! I own a 1997 Carisma 1,8 GDI and it has a problem that my mechanics are unable to solve. The problem started last summer during warm weathers. At first it died in idle after long distances and wouldn't start for about 15 minutes. By autumn it started yanking at high speed and the more I drove the lower the speed was when yanking. Like the car lost its power for a moment. So we changed the fuel filter and fuel pump (not the high pressure one). But at that time I had a crappy mechanic and he used too powerful pump. So the car became worse. It still yanked, didn't die anymore but flashed the engine light and had some clicking noises in the dashboard. Then I searched help elsewhere. They changed both fuel pumps (high pressure one a second hand because of its price) and the fuel pressure sensor (don't know if it's the right term in english) because the too powerful pump broke it. For a while (few hundred km maybe) all was ok but then the troubles started again. Diagnostics said that the problem is low fuel pressure. So back to the mechanics who found that the fuel pressure sensor was faulty so they changed it again. I drove about 300 km and then it all started again. Slowly and gradually worsening. So my logic says that something is driving my sensor nuts. Anybody has any idea what it might be? Maybe that thing that clicked in my dashboard? Or could it be cheap fuel filter? Sorry about the dumb questions, but as a vet I've got lots of logic but around zero knowledge about car engines.
Any help would be good. They are threatening to "put my car down" or drive me broke while unsuccessfully trying to repair it. Yes, I could buy a car that works, but I really love my Carisma. You, as Mitsubishi Enthusiasts should understand
Oh, I don't know if it has any relevance but most of the time since I bought the car I've had to turn the ignition 2-3 times before it starts.
Thanks for reading!