Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

MMCS HDD Unlock -- Success!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 08:38 PM
Banned
Default RE: MMCS HDD Unlock -- Success!

In other words about 230 bucks : )

Old 10-25-2007, 09:21 AM

I don't think we'll have a problem with numbers, because I'm sure we can easily have 5 for a group buy. But of course we still await what scraps fall off the table of our engineer overlords on this thread. I am really hoping we could get something useful out of this, because from what it seems, the tech guys have figured out a lot about the MMCS. I'm just here standing by and trying to understand what I can.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:05 AM
Banned

I feel you on the trying to understand part lol

Old 10-25-2007, 11:29 PM

ORIGINAL: rcpax
I don't think we'll have a problem with numbers, because I'm sure we can easily have 5 for a group buy.
The downside is getting one and then realizing that it doesn't work. We had that problem a number of years ago with a C compiler for Moto's 68hc11 -- before we found some great OSS versions.

ORIGINAL: rcpax
I'm just here standing by and trying to understand what I can.
The worst part now is the time it's going to take to understand how the kwi files are contrusted. The easy part was getting the hard disk drive unlocked!

As mentioned in many other places, the loader.kwi loades the fw image onto the 'mmcs.' It appears to control the DSP (audio), touch screen, phone, climate control, etc... The funniest error that could appear on the mmcs screen:
<some> error. Turn the engine key off to retry.

I'm guessing that the mmcs embedded WindowsCE has another SDK platform that has a network adapter in it:
Ethernet loading in progress

The loader.kwi also seems to support multiple types of embedded systems. Most of these seem to be after-market Mitsubishi navigation systems:
CUH9000
H9000.SCE (some sort of include)
CUH9000M
H9000M.SCE
CUH9700
H9700.SCE
CUH9700M
H9700M.SCE
NR060JH
NR060JH.SCE
CUP2006
CUP2006.SCE
NR261EM
NR261EM.SCE
NR261UM
NR261UM.SCE

Old 11-09-2007, 11:15 AM

ORIGINAL: brian360

So I've been doing some ASCII dumps of the "Loading.kwi" file and revealed this text -- looks like our navi system runs Windows CE:

. .T.h.i.s. .K.e.r.n.e.l. .w.a.s. .b.u.i.l.d. .f.o.r. .S.H.-.4. .C.a.r. .N.a.v.i.g.a.t.i.o.n. .S.y.s.t.e.m.........W.i.n.d.o.w.s. .C.E. .F.i.r.m.w.a.r.e. .I.n.i.t.........K.e.r.n.e.l. .V.e.r.s.i.o.n. .:. .%.s.......O.S.-.N.R.2.6.1.-.1...2.1...

Hopefully someone can find a tool to extract .kwi files -- I found one but it just crashed while parsing our loading.kwi file.
Interesting.
If you want to put your loading.kwi up somewhere, I'll try and identify the cause of the crash.
ATB
O.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:53 PM

Kay.
Got it sorted : should be an update on the site tomorrow, if I get a chance ..
Reverse engineering the firmware, for whatever reason, should not be _that_ big a job - looks like a fairly standard build, with a couple of custom apps.
HTH
O.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:11 PM

Thank you so much Otaku! I'll definately take a look as soon I can!

Old 11-15-2007, 01:27 PM

Just an update everyone, with special thanks to Otaku I've got the Loading.KWI file extracted with his tool and the image files contained within extracted thanks to tools listed here (specifically the Bysin tool). We can now load the Windows CE files into a dissassembler and start seeing how this thing works! We keep inching closer (to what, I'm not sure... haha)!

Btw, has anybody else tried unlocking their hard drive yet?

Old 11-21-2007, 03:19 AM
Old 11-27-2007, 09:18 AM

Keep up the good work. I love everything about the MMCS in my Lancer except the 6 gig music partition. I would def. pay for a service that ghosted my current data to a larger HD and gave me, say 10 gigs more room for music. That would be about the perfect size for me.

Quick Reply: MMCS HDD Unlock -- Success!