Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in?

2003 Outlander rear wheel alignment problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:34 AM
Default 2003 Outlander rear wheel alignment problem

Hi all, this is my first post in this forum, and I hope I have posted it in the right place.

I have a 2003 Outlander that chews through rear tires. The problem is that the rear wheels are angled out at the front and in at the top (not sure what the technical terms for this are). From behind, the rear wheels look like the letter "A". The result is that the inside rims of the rear wheels get worn down very quickly. I put snow tires on in November and just took them off... the inside rims of the rear tires have no tread left, while the front tires still look nearly new.

I've been told that all Mitsubishis do this to some extent, but this one is particularly bad because there seem to be some damaged parts (rear toe adjust linkage).

Apparently this is not adjustable unless I replace some parts. The parts only cost about $150 (linkages, plates, nuts and bolts) but the labor brings the total to nearly $500. The problem is that if I don't do it, I'm going to spend that much in new tires every six months.

Aside from finding someplace that charges less for labor, and rotating the tires, does anyone have a suggestion? I've just replaced the water pump and timing belt, I don't really want to put another $500 into it, but of course replacing the vehicle would cost a lot more.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Old 05-21-2013, 02:38 AM
Banned

Rear shocks are probably worn. The angle you speak of is called negative camber, and gives cornering stability. To avoid the problem, use better tires and rotate them more often. That's your only option.