Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in?

2006 Eclipse GT - 'grinding/crunching' sound turning right

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Default 2006 Eclipse GT - 'grinding/crunching' sound turning right

New here - bypassed the newb-hello section, sorry... but HELLO EVERYONE !!!

I have a '06 Eclipse GT with 57,000km on it; just bought it 4 weeks ago. Everything is pristine (so I thought) until I noticed a 'grinding/crunching' sound coming from the passenger rear when I accelerate with a slightly heavy foot after being at a full stop. I only hear it when I accelerate hard from a full stop, in first gear, turning right; When I turn left, I haven't heard the sound. After the initial 'grind/crunch/groan/creak' sound subsides within less than 1/2 second from accelerating, then I don't hear it again with normal driving.

The sound comes from the passenger rear suspension and almost sounds like a worn-out coil spring (if it exists on Eclipse) being stressed by being compressed, or decompressed too much... kind of a metal-coil-spring on metal-frame GROANING type of thing. I would almost liken it to a creaking floor board in an old house, but with a metallic sound to it.

Since I am new to Mits and the Eclipse model, I don't know much about the mechanics on the back end and I haven't had the time to hoist her up to take a look. I did walk to the passenger rear of the car and 'bounce' the rear end by lifting and pushing down on the bumper to see if I could simulate the sound, but no luck.

One more thing which may be related: I noticed a slight 'whirring' sound from the same end of the car when I put her into 5th gear (city) around 90km/h. At first I thought this might be tire noise but now I suspect the wheel bearing(s) may be worn. I have recognized the sound of worn bearings on my other vehicles because it becomes noticeable after driving it for a while... as this is a new car to me and I don't know what 'road-noise' to expect, I have to be proactive and check the bearings ASAP.
Any chance that worn bearings may be the actual cause of the GRINDING/CRUNCHING/MOANING/CREAKING I hear when giving her some extra fuel when turning RIGHT from a standing start?

Any responses are appreciated.

EDIT:
It rained pretty hard here today and the noise was there every time I accelerated from a stop... even a gentle acceleration caused the noise. Could it be some sort of rubber boot making the groaning noise? Strange that the noise is very pronounced when driving in wet conditions.

Last edited by ZzyzX; 08-15-2011 at 06:08 PM.