Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in?

Montero Driveline Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 01:21 PM
Unhappy Montero Driveline Vibration

HI there ive got a 1996 Montero LS(3.0l) At 85km/hr ive got a mad vibration that shakes the whole vehicle. Recent repairs are as follows

Complete rear brakes
Both driveshafts have new ujoints and have been balanced at a driveline shop
New Tires
Front Shocks

On a hoist(suspension loaded and unloaded) vibration cannot be duplicated.

This is driving me crazy so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, Mike

Old 10-13-2011, 10:12 PM

trans mount or trailing arm bushing

Old 10-14-2011, 10:58 AM

Trans mounts are hammered out and on order. Thanks for the reply! Will look into the trailing arm bushings as well

Old 11-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Thumbs down

Just installed new trailing arm bushings along with the new trans mount. Vibration STILL present. Got a reply from another forum regarding the rear driveshatf insulation coming loosew from the inside. This guy had same problem i am experiancing in 2different vehicles. New driveshaft fixed both. Will be possibly trying to drive without rear shaft or trying to locate new one in the mean time. Thanks for all the replys!

Old 07-20-2012, 09:26 PM

Well guys after spending hundred of dollars on drive shaft; transmission fluid change; rear end fluid change; dealership could tn find problem; went to several shop just throwing money after money. Finally I went to this small spanish shop and the owner drove the thruck; came back and then drove again. Finally after crow barring everthing under chasis they found all the rear upper and lower control arm bushing were shot. I must have spent a thousand dollars are more trying to solve the intermittment vibration problem. All for 48 dollars. Then the labor is only $80.

Problem now is that the lower rear bushing is 15 bucks but the rear uppper is sold as the entire arm for $502. Need solution to maybe finding bushing that will work. Im not paying $502 for the arm w/ pre-installed bushing. Pleaee help. 2003 montero. Will I be able to find bushing somewhere that will work. What about previous years where rear upper businging could be pruchased

Old 07-21-2012, 03:19 PM

send me the specs of the bushings i be able to make you some in urethans mxmikie@yahoo.com

Old 07-24-2012, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by mpasman
HI there ive got a 1996 Montero LS(3.0l) At 85km/hr ive got a mad vibration that shakes the whole vehicle. Recent repairs are as follows

Complete rear brakes
Both driveshafts have new ujoints and have been balanced at a driveline shop
New Tires
Front Shocks

On a hoist(suspension loaded and unloaded) vibration cannot be duplicated.

This is driving me crazy so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, Mike
I had a similar issue with my previous car. The problem ended up being a combination of the front tires being separated due to a poor alignment as well as some front outer tie-rod issues.

Have your tires looked over again to look for any abnormal signs of wear and tear that might be caused due to alignment issues. Also have a look at your tie-rods, make sure they're not leaking and that there's no excessive play which CAN cause a nasty shake.