Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Generation (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/1st-generation-62/)
-   -   92 eclipse GS Not firing (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/1st-generation-62/92-eclipse-gs-not-firing-34450/)

emory 11-27-2009 10:02 AM

92 eclipse GS Not firing

Hope that everone had a nice Thanksgiving, Thiis is my first post and It looks like there are a lot of knowledgeable people in here. I picked up a 1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS that had been sitting for 2 Year's. The man that I got it from was a disabled man and he told me that the Car was running fine till one day he got a Kid (17 Years old) from down the street to change the fuel filter for him and he said that it has not run since.
Well, I found out that he has a Gas leak at the gas line where it go into the Fuel Rail. But the biggest problem is that it is not firing.
I have (2) questions
(1) how in the world do you get the coil pack out from under the Intake?
(2) where is the connector that I can hook my code scanner to it?
Thank's I need all the help that I can get.
Emory

dsm1990gsx 11-27-2009 12:26 PM

Is it a 2.0 or 1.8? The coil pack is a pita but usually dont ever go bad. These cars have many many issues w/ ecu's going bad.

When you turn the key on does the check engine light, light up?

emory 11-27-2009 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by dsm1990gsx (Post 253254)
Is it a 2.0 or 1.8? The coil pack is a pita but usually dont ever go bad. These cars have many many issues w/ ecu's going bad.

When you turn the key on does the check engine light, light up?

Thank you for the reply,Sorry, it is a 2.0 My Bad. No, the check engine light did not come on when I swtched it on . The first time that I switched it on it just flashed on but it went off instantly. I switched it back and forth several more times and it did not even flash. But the short answer is No, The check engine light is not on with the car being just seitched on.
Is there any way to check the ECU?
Hope that you had a good thanksgiving.

dsm1990gsx 11-27-2009 08:16 PM

Pull the ecu out and remove the cover and look for any caps leaking, it'll smell fishy. As long as the bulb is good thats a tell tale sign of a bad ecu.

emory 11-27-2009 09:36 PM

Thank's, I will pull it out tomorrow and look at it real good and get back to you. and let you know what I found.

dsm1990gsx 11-27-2009 09:41 PM

Sounds good, post pics if you can.

emory 11-28-2009 11:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok! I pulled it out, (Kinda like pulling teeth) took it apart smelled it and did not smell nothing, did not see any capistor's leaking nor swelled. Cleaned all the battery post, cable, disconnected the ground from firewall cleaned it put it back.hooked everthing back up and switched it back on. The "Check Engine Light" stayed on about 30 sec's and went out. switched it off and back on several time's all the light would do is just blink when it was switched on. briefly then go out. is there any way to check them. here are some pic's cant tell much but here they are. Thank's for your support.

emory 11-29-2009 12:53 PM

Ok! Reinstalled the Computer back into the car, I finally got the coil pack out from under the intake. what I did was to take my VOM and I checked for contact where the wires are screwed onto each coil. Black wire From Vom to The ground (Bracket that the coil pack is mounted on) Red wire from the vom to the top wire on back of the coil on each coil I got 12.10V then I switched the car off and Nothing "Nada" waited about 30 Minutes and I did it again and I got the same reading switched it off and I got nothing.
any thought's?

dsm1990gsx 11-29-2009 12:57 PM

Are you getting spark at the plug wires? Check for compression and check to see if the fuel injectors are firing w/ a test light.

emory 11-29-2009 02:17 PM

when I get fire to the back of the coil like I explained in my last post It will fire at the plug wire and start up for a couple minute's.
Then it is Dead, nothing. I have not checked compression yet.
But I do not think that has anything to do with firing, do you?
I have only got it to start up a couple time's since I have been messing with it and both time's it would run for a minute or less.