Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Generation (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/1st-generation-62/)
-   -   94 Eclipse Hard Start when cold (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/1st-generation-62/94-eclipse-hard-start-when-cold-6187/)

SaraEclipse19 10-11-2005 10:40 PM

94 Eclipse Hard Start when cold

Hi,I have a 94 Eclipse that doesn't like to start when cold. It will crank for a long time, then when it starts to run it idles rough. Then the Check Engine light will come on. When the car is warmed up, and I start it back up, it runs fine. I brought it to a garage and they hooked it up to a computer, but it did not read any codes. They reset the computer, but the light came back on.
It's getting colder out and I'm afraid that it won't start at all soon!
Please Help!
Thanks, Sara

Sanguinius 10-12-2005 01:19 AM

RE: 94 Eclipse Hard Start when cold

When was the last time you've done a fuel system cleaning? When the car is cold does the roughness go away when you hit the gas? when was the last time you checked/changed your spark plugs and wires? Oil change?

SaraEclipse19 10-12-2005 04:35 PM

Hey, thanks for writing back.
I have only put fuel injection cleaner that you run through the gas tank in it. If I hit the gas when it's idleing rough it will either run the rpm's down so low that it will die and sometimes pop, but if I give it gas slowly and keep the r's over 1500 then it will run fine. Plugs and wires are fine, and just changed the oil. Some one said that there is a cold start sensor, or maybe a tps(throttle position sensor) that could be bad, but wouldn't that come up on a scanner?
Thanks,
Sara

GST WNB 10-12-2005 05:26 PM

My 96 Eclipse did that last year close to winter,I changed my plugs and wires,and it was fixed and ran alot better.

SaraEclipse19 10-12-2005 05:36 PM

Did your car only run crappy when it was cold?

derf 10-12-2005 05:50 PM

i had that in my 95 talon... check the plugs, maybe the wires, and if that's no good, maybe your o2 sensor is on its way out..?

derf 10-12-2005 05:53 PM

guys at like autozone and advanced and even a private guy who does a lot of tuning had a hard time communicating with my car... i dunno i have an old computer and it works sometimes, but when this was going on, it was just replace and hope... T.T

Sanguinius 10-12-2005 06:36 PM

You may THINK the plugs and wires are fine but try changing them ALSO take the intake pipe off the intake and get some carb cleaner spray and an old toothbrush. Spray into the intake and use the toothbrush to clean out any black (Carbon) deposites that are there then put it back together and try it.

derf 10-12-2005 06:41 PM

im a firm believer that bosch plugs are little gifts from god...;)

Sanguinius 10-12-2005 06:45 PM

Bosch double plats baby ;)