Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Generation (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/1st-generation-62/)
-   -   Houston i have a problem (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/1st-generation-62/houston-i-have-problem-17111/)

pearlywhite93 03-07-2007 04:29 PM

Houston i have a problem

Hello fellow dsm lovers, i was wondering if one of you with your infinite wisdom could help me. i just bought a 93 eclipse with a swaped in 2.0 turbo. $1000 killer deal, however the tranny was no good so i got a 5f33 and when i took the old tranny off it was a 5f22 which uses a smaller fly wheel. so now my starter is not engaging the flywheel. i tried to order a flywheel for a 93 turbo but when it came in it had 7 holes for the crank and mine only had 6. so i am lost , i though maybe the engine is from a later year but i dont know where to go to run the number. so any advise would be great. i was thinking i might have to go with a new 5f22 but i would rather have the heavier tranny, these turbos are crazy powerful

RCJr9186 03-07-2007 05:02 PM

RE: Houston i have a problem

what happend is you got a 6 bolt block and ordered a 7 bolt flywheel. i'm no expert when it comes to 1st gens but i think if you order a 6 bolt flywheel you should be just fine. (6 bolt is >93 and 7 bolts came in everything past that year. 7 bolts, especially in 2nd gens, were notorious for cranwalking)

TheEngineer 03-07-2007 08:22 PM

exactly, you dont have an engine from a 93. the engine is from a 90-92.5. so your looking for a flywheel from those years

RCJr9186 03-08-2007 12:07 PM

good news is though that you do have the best DSM engine there is... the 6 bolt is a better built engine b/c you don't have to worry about crankwalk.

pearlywhite93 03-08-2007 03:36 PM

wow you guys rock, one more question where is a good place to get a flywheel, and should i consider a lightened one. what will it do for me.

RCJr9186 03-08-2007 03:42 PM

what a lightweight flywheel does is cut down on Rotational mass... basically lighter is faster... ie the flywheel/clutch/crank will spin freer/faster than a heavier one would. so yes, it's a good investment. Fidanza makes a gread one along with Exedy and a few others you can check out Slowboyracing.com, CIMotorsports.net, horsepowerfreaks.com, stillen.com. ebay motors... tons of places.

93eclipsegsx 03-08-2007 08:08 PM

also if you go to light, it can be bad. causing the car to stall at idle. get an act street lite flywheel, thats what i, and a couple others i know and they love em.

RCJr9186 03-09-2007 10:24 AM

^ i've never heard of that happening. . . hmm any explination why?

DonaldRW 04-22-2007 02:33 AM

get a 6 bolt flywheel and you'll be fine.. Make sure though you have the fight bell housing plate when you bolt the tranny back up, because i had that problem and had to change out the plate.

93eclipsegsx 04-22-2007 03:57 PM

well if you have a good runnnig car it wont affect it, but say you have a too light of one, and your car is running like ass and missfiringalot, then you dont have that rotational mass helping out so it will stall when the car is missing. but i would suggest the act streetlite flywheel FTW!!!