Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Generation (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/1st-generation-62/)
-   -   MORE HORSE POWER (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/1st-generation-62/more-horse-power-26357/)

MCKINNEY7248 03-18-2008 03:44 PM

MORE HORSE POWER

I HAVE A 1992 ECLIPSE 2.0 DOHC NON TURBO 5 SPEEDIS THERE ANY THING I CAN DO TO GIVE IT MORE HORSE POWER LIKE MOVING A SENSOR OR REMOVING THE HONEYCOME IN THE AIR BOX SOMETHING LIKE THAT ANY IDEAS

dsm1990gsx 03-18-2008 04:06 PM

RE: MORE HORSE POWER

First off no need for the caps lock, there isnt really a lotyou can do for more horse power. You can get a set of 93-94 turbo cams, pull out the balance shafts and hack the air box and get a k&n filter. That is probably the cheapest/easiest way to get more horse power.

WhiteMonster! 04-18-2008 11:04 PM

right off if you look under your intake theres this black box that is stupid who knows what it does but restrict air..a few screws and you can feel an improvement and its FREE
umm you can clean out your throttle body but dont do what i did and spray ANY SENSOR with throttle body cleaner..use sensor cleaner

laserdriver90 05-13-2008 05:55 PM

yup, the old cut the box, take a wizzer and cut a big ol' square in that air can, and the k&n filter makes a difference... they are like 50 bucks tho... in these cars, there is realy no need for a new intake pipe, the plastic one in there is smoothe on the inside and is better insulated that an aftermarket metal one, and a big gain is made if u get a maf translator and a GM maf unit, there is virtualy no restriction with those, it will cost around 150 to 200 tho.... lets see, theres realy not alot of options, if you dont want to work on the motor... uve only got two options, intake and exhaust... im in the same boat as u, it sucks i know... i plan on an engine rebuild and the head machined out for bigger valves and larger cams... itle be around 2 grand for all that i think, i can do the rebuild myself but the heads can get expensive

dsm1990gsx 05-13-2008 07:08 PM

ORIGINAL: laserdriver90

yup, the old cut the box, take a wizzer and cut a big ol' square in that air can, and the k&n filter makes a difference... they are like 50 bucks tho... in these cars, there is realy no need for a new intake pipe, the plastic one in there is smoothe on the inside and is better insulated that an aftermarket metal one, and a big gain is made if u get a maf translator and a GM maf unit, there is virtualy no restriction with those, it will cost around 150 to 200 tho.... lets see, theres realy not alot of options, if you dont want to work on the motor... uve only got two options, intake and exhaust... im in the same boat as u, it sucks i know... i plan on an engine rebuild and the head machined out for bigger valves and larger cams... itle be around 2 grand for all that i think, i can do the rebuild myself but the heads can get expensive
If your gonna build a n/a engine you should use a 2gen 4g63 head, I have done a lot of research abt this and the 1gen ports are overkill. And running a gm maf on a n/a car is just pointless and a waste of money. Your talking abt 200 for the translator and $50.00 for the maf and tuning would be a bitch.

Michael Knight 05-16-2008 09:07 AM

You could spend about 2000 bucks on a 5.0 mustang and double your horsepower.

dsm1990gsx 05-16-2008 09:58 AM

ORIGINAL: Michael Knight

You could spend about 2000 bucks on a 5.0 mustang and double your horsepower.
Should I even ask why he would want to do that?

ByPopularDemand 06-07-2008 07:47 PM

I would assume so the car would be a tad quick

sk8dudety 06-08-2008 07:16 AM

yea man the problem is ur non-turbo car was never made to handle high horsepower... so anything you do really is just make small improvements

dsm1990gsx 06-08-2008 11:21 AM

ORIGINAL: ByPopularDemand

I would assume so the car would be a tad quick
Do you have any idea what would be involved w/ dropping a 5.0 mustang engine in an eclipse? Totally not worth it.