1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

Oil in intake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Default Oil in intake?

Hey everyone, I took the stock air box out today and when I did I noticed oil pooled in the end of the intake house after the filter, I know my ride is burning oil I think its the valves plus my valve cover is cracked but would that cause oil to get into the intake hose? I mean there was a good amount in there, it poured out when I moved the hose. Any sugestions, or is it just the valve cover? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-08-2006, 08:22 PM
Banned
Default RE: Oil in intake?

Some oil is normal. Take out your spark wires from the valve cover and tell me if there is any oil in there. Where is the run off on the left side of the valve cover running to? Is a hose there connecting to your intake or just a little filter type thing? I dont see how a cracked valve cover would cause oil to get into the intake.

You will see a pic of the engine bay in my gallery and on the left side of the valve cover there is a blue hose leading to an oil catch tank. Some cars have just a hose running to the intake. This is not bad but it will cause a little oil in the intake depending on how long its there for. Is your valve cover hooked up like that?

Old 07-09-2006, 12:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Sebba

Some oil is normal. Take out your spark wires from the valve cover and tell me if there is any oil in there. Where is the run off on the left side of the valve cover running to? Is a hose there connecting to your intake or just a little filter type thing? I dont see how a cracked valve cover would cause oil to get into the intake.

You will see a pic of the engine bay in my gallery and on the left side of the valve cover there is a blue hose leading to an oil catch tank. Some cars have just a hose running to the intake. This is not bad but it will cause a little oil in the intake depending on how long its there for. Is your valve cover hooked up like that?
Here is a Pic of my motor, if its from to far away I can snap another one, and yes there is oil in the plug holes but the vavlve cover is cracked around 2 bolts under the plastic cover for the plugs and oil does bubble up when I am on the gas, I got the cover I just need to run to the store to get bigger bolts for it I think the Valve cover I got is from a Elantra. Here is the Pic

[IMG]local://upfiles/8005/8364CB1A10704D7B844383E29F0F93CD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Banned

no you have the right valve cover. You need to replace the valve cover seal. Also... so you see the pipe that is on the left hand side of the valve cover about half way up?? That is what is causing it to drain into the intake. Now if you really want to avoid this then you can get an oil catch can.

I would replace the valve cover man along with the seals. You can get a cheap one off ebay. Just type in "4g63 valve cover" and you will find it.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:37 PM

no you have the right valve cover. You need to replace the valve cover seal. Also... so you see the pipe that is on the left hand side of the valve cover about half way up?? That is what is causing it to drain into the intake. Now if you really want to avoid this then you can get an oil catch can.

I would replace the valve cover man along with the seals. You can get a cheap one off ebay. Just type in "4g63 valve cover" and you will find it.
Well I got a new Valve Cover but who ever had this car before me striped one of the holes in the head, I dont have a tap & Die set either, any advice on what to do...... And how hard is it to put in a catch can? Got I hate being a Carpenter sometimes..LoL

Old 07-11-2006, 03:06 PM
Banned

Its simple all you do is clamp on the hoses and thats it

Old 07-12-2006, 10:08 PM

Its simple all you do is clamp on the hoses and thats it
What do I do run a hose from the valve cover to a can thats it, do I have to run a hose from the can back to the oil system some how? And im no mechanic but cant oil in the intake cause smoke to come out the exaust? Im gonna check out your Pix to see yours

Old 07-13-2006, 12:38 PM
Banned

Ok first of all you need to fix the valve cover and the leaky gasket.

The catch can is really that easy... it does not have to run anyware... just one hose to the can and thats it.

Oil in the intake will only cause smoke if the oil is being sucked into the engine... are you getting smoke? Once you install the catch can and fix the leaky seal you should be ok.

Old 07-13-2006, 07:33 PM

Could I just block off that hose? Or does that oil need to get out for some reason? So do you think my valve cover and seals could be causing me to smoke along with the oil in the intake? It doesnt smoke when I am on the gas only when I am sitting at idle for awhile and I take off a cloud will puff out. I think its my valves wich is why I am looking for a head for it, no luck finding one yet anybody know where I can get one at?

Old 07-13-2006, 07:43 PM

no, because the hose that runs from the valve cover to the intake is like a breather, so you can use a catch can or just put a breather filter on it. i have a stock head that was on my turbo car, but you can always swap the cams. but it needs a rebuild.
16 new valve
16 new guides
probably new seats
1 rocker

Quick Reply: Oil in intake?