Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Generation (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/1st-generation-62/)
-   -   Please Help me (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/1st-generation-62/please-help-me-26280/)

gamerdude 03-15-2008 02:45 PM

Please Help me

I have a 93 gs and it has a real big problem. I bought the car after it had been sitting for about 5 years and it hardly ran. It would run for a few minutes and just die. I rebuilt the engine in the car shortly after I bought it thinking that it would fix the problem, but it didnt. It still ran rough even after i rebuilt the engine, replaced the MAF sensor, crank/cam sensor (I got it from the junk yard tho), coil pack, plug wires, and the plugs. The car ran for about 500 miles after the rebuild and I did not start the car for about 2 days and it would not start again. After this I replaced the ECM in it and the fuel pump relay and still nothing. So I just got tired of working on it after that and I quit working on it for about 5 months. I replaced the O2 sensor after those five months were over and it started. It sounded really, really bad tho. It would not rev but to like 2500 rpmand sounded like the engine was about to fly apart. All the sound was coming from the intake side of the engine. I let the car sit for just one whole day without starting it again and it would not start after that again. The car has been sitting once again for about 6 months and will not start. Could a bad camshaft be the cause of all this? Sorry about such a long message

Sebba 03-15-2008 03:24 PM

RE: Please Help me

Either the timing is out... or you have one hell of a bad vacume leak.

gamerdude 03-15-2008 06:15 PM

Thanks but I'm pretty sure that its not the timing because it was in time whenever it stopped running for the last time. Far as vacuum leaks go im not for sure. Any idea off the top of your head which one(s) it might be?

Sebba 03-16-2008 01:43 AM

Its impossible to say.

It really does sound like timing to me....

Kaede.Noir 03-16-2008 01:54 AM

go for a vacuum test just for curiosity sake, get a vacuum gague... im not talking bout the a-pilar one... real ones

racerx55 03-16-2008 02:37 AM

so it sat for 5 years...stale gas leads to trashed injectors, usually craps out the fuel pump, rots the diaphram in the regulatorand i hope to god you changed the fuel filter.
check in that area. its pretty much normal for noisy lifters, especially after sittingfor a whilemonths after a rebuild.
when you had it apart did you check the valves to make sure they weren't bent?
ive seen people overlook that before. umm have you drained the gas and put new in?
not trying to offend but alot of problems are simple things that were overlooked.

Sebba 03-16-2008 11:17 AM

I know a car that sat for 15 years.... with gas in the tank. Its running the injectors and fuel pump it came with.

jgbrules 03-17-2008 10:42 PM

hello!! sounds like to me you have several problems. but racerx has a very valid point. i would first start by putting in fresh gas and a new fuel filter. after sitting 5 years not only can the gas go bad, but condensation in the tank can lead to a bunch of water mixed with bad gas. not a good combo. also remove the fuel line going to the injector rail and let that drain too. when you do this get samples of the gas, the water will separate from the gas, and the gas will smell real bad, musky smell. cant miss it. you can look at the samples to know if your on the right track. also, secondly. recheck that timming. those DOHC motors can slip a tooth when putting the belt on VERY EAISILY. can cause every problem your having if its off just 2 teeth. another thing, is did you over tighten the intake bolts?? if you installed a paper type gasket it is very easy to over tighten and split that gasket. you also have a torque sequence. start in the middle and work your way out. meaning the middle, then bolt on left then bolt on the right, alternate between top and bottom. that intake gasket splitting can cause a HUGE vacume leak.one other thing that comes to mind that i have seen a couple of times is, the cam shafts get mixed up. most of the time the engine wont run, but i did see one time that it would crank up for just a minute then die. long shot but worth checking. the shafts have a letter stamping on them to indentify. some websites like alldata, or mitchell will give you that info. we have a factory manual for that somehwere in our shop, if i have a chance i will try to find it and post again with the info!! hope this helps!! good luck!!

dsm1990gsx 03-18-2008 06:50 AM

ORIGINAL: jgbrules

hello!! sounds like to me you have several problems. but racerx has a very valid point. i would first start by putting in fresh gas and a new fuel filter. after sitting 5 years not only can the gas go bad, but condensation in the tank can lead to a bunch of water mixed with bad gas. not a good combo. also remove the fuel line going to the injector rail and let that drain too. when you do this get samples of the gas, the water will separate from the gas, and the gas will smell real bad, musky smell. cant miss it. you can look at the samples to know if your on the right track. also, secondly. recheck that timming. those DOHC motors can slip a tooth when putting the belt on VERY EAISILY. can cause every problem your having if its off just 2 teeth. another thing, is did you over tighten the intake bolts?? if you installed a paper type gasket it is very easy to over tighten and split that gasket. you also have a torque sequence. start in the middle and work your way out. meaning the middle, then bolt on left then bolt on the right, alternate between top and bottom. that intake gasket splitting can cause a HUGE vacume leak.one other thing that comes to mind that i have seen a couple of times is, the cam shafts get mixed up. most of the time the engine wont run, but i did see one time that it would crank up for just a minute then die. long shot but worth checking. the shafts have a letter stamping on them to indentify. some websites like alldata, or mitchell will give you that info. we have a factory manual for that somehwere in our shop, if i have a chance i will try to find it and post again with the info!! hope this helps!! good luck!!
There is no possible way to mix up the cams, the intake cam has a slot on it atthe end for the camshaft position sensor.