Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Generation (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/1st-generation-62/)
-   -   timing belt broke any tips? (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/1st-generation-62/timing-belt-broke-any-tips-29628/)

tom93 10-12-2008 12:42 PM

timing belt broke any tips?

alright so here's how the story goes i was heading to the store got in my 93 1.8 eclipse and it started like normal i pull out of my neighborhood and made a left at the light made my shift to third and mid shift the engine died. i tried restarting it and it would crank but not fire. so i got it towed back to my house by a buddy with a truck. i went and replaced the battery cuz it was shot and nothing so we just replaced the distributor figuring it was the coil and still no spark. we pulled the plugs and they appear to need replacement but there should be at least some spark right? were at our wits end here and could realy use some help any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.[:@]

alright so i asked a buddy about it and he told me to check the timming belt and that was the problem. we got the pully assembly off but r having a hard time getting the lower cover off.

dsm1990gsx 10-12-2008 05:26 PM

RE: no spark

Check for an injector pulse, if you dont have that the ecu is dead, happened to me before on my old 1.8.

tom93 10-13-2008 01:20 PM

that wasnt it the fing timming belt broke[:@]

dsm1990gsx 10-13-2008 01:54 PM

ORIGINAL: tom93

that wasnt it the fing timming belt broke[:@]
Damn sry to hear.

93eclipsegsx 10-14-2008 09:11 AM

well if the timing belt broke im sure there are bent valves. you can try just putting a new belt on it and see but your probably onna have to pul the head off.

tom93 10-14-2008 01:24 PM

yea we got the whole belt system disasembled were gonna put the new belts on today. im hopping that because i was mid shift and had the clutch in that i may have saved the valves. if not any 1 know were i can get some new ones for cheap in miami fl or online i'm in school and my part time dosnt pay much i already shot my self in the foot buying a new distributor for no reason thinking it was the coil. i also need new tires and a tune up at least plugs and cables.:([:@]

93eclipsegsx 10-14-2008 03:19 PM

do you know off hand if the valves are the same as the 2.0l heads. if so ill check around to see if i still have a head laying around and snag you some.

dsm1990gsx 10-14-2008 06:49 PM

The valves are different from a 2.0 and if the valves are bent good chance the valve guides are trashed too. Your best bet is to pull the head and see if there is any major damage on the pistons and replace the head.

tom93 10-14-2008 07:55 PM

yea we ran out of daylight today[&:]so were gonna finish the reassembly of the belts and cross our fingers [8D]im realy hopping all will be fine. we turned her over by hand and the compression felt alright and i ddint here any banging or anything when it happened or the numerous times we cranked it trying to figure out what the hell happened. give use a prayer cuz im pretty much broke already.

tom93 10-15-2008 03:36 PM

YES
It's alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just finished puting her back together and she's running like before.:D