2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

1996 Eclipse RS 5Spd WONT START

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Question 1996 Eclipse RS 5Spd WONT START

Hey guys can anyone help me?

I have a 1996 Eclipse RS 5 speed, but it wont start. the problem started when i started having problems starting the car. i would have to hold the key in the start position for long periods of time until the car finally turned over and started. this problem got significantly worse everytime i tried starting my car. i would have to hold the key in the start position for longer and longer sometimes up to 15 seconds or more!! The car would try to start. the engine would spin faster and faster until the car finally turned over and started and idled properly. one day it got so bad that the car just never started anymore. i held they key in the start position for so long as the car tried to start until one day i killed my battery. i bought a brand new battery and i put in a brand new starter(they both work fine). i checked my fly wheel and its spinning properly when i push the car back and forth. i checked to see if my spark plugs are sparking, and they are!. my timing belt is also working fine(i did the tissue in the spark plug hole test).i tried push starting the car in 2nd Gear but it wont start either. i have no apparent electrical problems. But, guys, the car still WONT START can someone please tell me what the problem might be and how i can fix it!! THANK YOU

Old 11-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

are you getting fuel?

Old 11-04-2010, 06:47 AM
Exclamation

Actually I am not sure. When I pulled out the sparkplugs to check for spark, I noticed that the threaded end of the plug was slightly moist and smelled like gasoline, so I thought I was getting fuel. I also want to let you know that once the car actually started, I had NO problems with my accelerator; the car DID NOT feel sluggish or as if it was running out of fuel or anything like that.The car drove PERFECTLY once it started. By the way,the day that the car never started again was the same day that I filled up my tank.

Thanks for replying!!!

Old 11-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

when you are trying to turn over see if you can hear the fuel pump working under the back seat. Or pull a plug and turn the car over and see if fuel come all over the place, haha. But i dont reccommend the latter since it makes a mess. Also have you tried a compression test?

Old 11-05-2010, 08:15 AM

I'm gonna try to see if i can hear the pump working. The pump is on the right side? cause my tank is on the right side i knw that the pump is inside the gas tank. how to i do a compression test btw? and also by the way. my water pump isnt working so the car would overheat..i used to drive it to school which is 15 minutes from my house lol without water in the radiator(very careless) but i had no option..i was too broke to fix it n i needed to get to school. Could that be a reason why the car isnt starting?

Old 11-05-2010, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

that definetly could be the reason. You may have damaged the head gasket. Do a search for how to do a compression test. All you need is a guage from any place that sells auto parts.