2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

1999 eclipse GST performance help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 01:00 AM
Default 1999 eclipse GST performance help!

hey every0ne s0me may remember this car....http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...4808#mainImage
- well im deciding to fix it cuz there were tranny problems and what not! so0O i wanna put a gt35r turbo on n AWD convert it! Can anyone see in the pictures what mods i may have! And can any1 tell me any good sites for AWD trannys and/or turbo sites! thanks for any help!

Old 02-04-2007, 01:56 AM
Default RE: 1999 eclipse GST performance help!

To me, looks like Intercooler piping, turbo timer, some Greddy BOV ( I think it might be the real RS), some type of spark plug wires, custom intake with performance filter (maybe K&N), wideband, EGT gauge, boost gauge, looks like some type of oil filter (like a catch can), exhaust, tailights, upgraded wastegate, cant tell what turbo though. Thats all i caught.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

I think i see an upgraded fuel rail also or maybe its just new and shiny . But it must have injectors and fuel pump but obviously cant say on size. Also its running a GM Maf-t. My suggestion to you is dont even think about a conversion. Your gonna pay too much. First learn about the car you have and know what your dealing with because nto knowing what your dealing with you could really screw something up.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:45 AM

Very good suggestion! How much would it cost say if i let Mitsubishi AWD convert it?What all would you think i need to run the Holset HX-35 turbo, what clutch? thanks 4 your help!

Old 02-05-2007, 11:00 AM

ORIGINAL: UTREVO

Very good suggestion! How much would it cost say if i let Mitsubishi AWD convert it?What all would you think i need to run the Holset HX-35 turbo, what clutch? thanks 4 your help!
tisk tisk what did I tell you about the AWD swap on that thing lol

Old 02-05-2007, 11:00 AM

clutch depends on how much power you want... if you plan on running a gt35r... well you'll prolly need a ACT 2900. also do some research, find out how much exactly it will take to get everything to suport the gt35r... that's a big turbo and puts down some big numbers. you also have to think about what kind of car you want.. if you are looking for a quarter mile monster, you'll DEFINATLY need some slicks or you'll never find traction. theres a vid of a guy tha installs a gt35r on an GSX and still can't get a great deal of traction until late 2nd early 3rd gear. if you strap one of those on there you'll have an interstate monster but that's jsut about it. as for the convert, you are looking at new trani, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, axels, brake rotors, calipers etc etc etc... trust us when we tell you it's liek buying another car.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Well that car must already have a clutch. Just from the mods you have the person who did it knew what they were doing. One thing i dont see however is a piggyback or some for of tuning device. That car must have it with those mods. Maybe it has DSMlink or something. And also before doinga turbo upgrade i would figure out what turbo you have now, cuz it might be capable of good power and a new turbo might not be necessary. But if you already have the turbo, i think they bolt up to the stock manifold. But back to the swap if you really want an AWD then sell yours and buy one. For a dealer to do it the money would be insane, the only way to do it cheap is if you had a junk gsx donor car. Here is a write-up of the swap and al that it intails.

a how to 2g fwd to awd swap

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is for every on who wants to do a awd swap to there car what parts are need to do it right
we will start with the front
1. tranny
2. transfer case
3. gsx starter
4. gsx flywheel
5. gsx front axles
6. while your at it do the brake swap to the 2 piston front brakes
7. main drive shaft
exhaust system
1. down pipe
2. cat
3. mid pipe
4. muffler
5. all hangers for the exhaust and drive shaft they are spot welded to the car
6. the mid pipe heat shield
the back of the car
1.gas tank
2. gas tank straps
3. gas tank metal shield
4. complete rear end with all suspension parts brakes and ebrake cables
Every thing in the front and exhaust system will be a bolt on thing but the rear end parts need to be made to fit in all holes are there for it to bolt in to the car.
The gas tank
take out the gst tank and cut out the two tank holders where it bolted to then put the gsx tank in and mark where the bolts will need to be moved to hold the new tank. The front bolts are there just need to be drilled to get rid of the spot weld and moved 2 holes in an both sides and tacked back in to the new holes that are there already. As for the rear I put bolts in the car to bolt in the rear also.
The rear end
take out the gst rear end and ebrake cables. To put in the gsx rear end you need to cut the frame of the car it is in two layers of metal the rear bolt is in the right spot just cut it out and take ot the spacer that is on the bolt to drop it down so it is longer make sure to fabe a bolt holder so it wont spin when you tighten up the nut. as for the other bolt in there already just leave it a lone it if fine were it is or cut it off your choose but the next hole forward of that you will need to do the same as the rear bolt but you need to put in a grade 8 bolt in the hole then just bolt in the rear end and hook up the ebrake cables in the car.
drive shaft install
You will have to drill out you exhaust holder and weld in the new one in the same spot you took yours out at they look the same but the gsx has the exhaust holders on it and the drive shaft bolts . As far as the rear holder you will need to weld it in right before the gas tank
then just Finnish bolting things in the car
that's it

Old 02-05-2007, 11:09 AM

John is that info only valid for the GSt spyder? Cause I have only seen the AWD on a spyder GST and never a coupe

Old 02-05-2007, 11:10 AM

Well i have a 1999 Eclipse GST, i wanna get the Holset HX-35 turbo for it, I guess ill have to listent to you guys and just keep it FWD thing is with LSD and a center diff will that give me the traction i need? Because the person before me didn't know what they were doin! I found out from Mitsu the diff. is on backwards and they dont know if they were tryin to make it AWD or RWD, the EGR valve is plated off and the way the tranny is setup it was gonna burn up! The exhaust manifold is cracked and need a new one. I cant even put it into gear while sitting in the driveway! So i wanna fix it! I juss need a little help on what ill need to fix it and run some nice HP i guess id like to make 400WHP with that turbo! Thanks

Old 02-05-2007, 11:16 AM

If you only want 400WHP then dont get a 35r it will be a waiste. A 50 Trim will get you over 400 on pump gas and up too 500WHP and youll save money. A 35r is a race gas or meth injection turbo it only makes nice power on high boost on pump gas it doesnt to as well

Quick Reply: 1999 eclipse GST performance help!