2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:38 PM
Exclamation 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

I'm looking at buying a 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS with 130,000 miles on it. What kind of problems have you guys experienced with Eclipses with that kind of mileage? I'm worried the tranny will go soon, etc. But I wanted to know how long yours all lasted. I'm looking to purchase it for 3000 (also has cold air intake, neon, tint, rims) so how expensive would it be to have the tranny and/or engine rebuilt? I know I'm new at all this, just trying to ask you guys cuz i figure you all are experts on it. ANY HELP would be appreciated!! thankss

Old 03-31-2009, 09:44 PM

Don't buy it for 3Grand with a bad tranny with 130,000 miles! I might buy it for 2 grand tops. Mods don't add value unless they are done to the engine, and even then unless you have $10,000 tied up in engine, tranny and suspension work, it wont raise the value of a car up a whole lot. To get a tranny rebuilt will cost you 1,000-1500.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:50 PM

I don't know for sure that it has a bad tranny or anything. I was asking you guys if you thought at 130k miles it would have problems like that. It's supposedly almost all highway miles.. if that makes a difference?

Old 03-31-2009, 10:29 PM

Automatic or manual?
If automatic then you should be fine. If manual then it would depend on how the previous owner drove. Too much clutch or grinding the gears etc. can ruin it pretty quick. The engine is a 420a. Not a very good platform for upgrading. (Cost a lot to get just a little bit of power)

At 130k miles you should be fine. If you really want it then offer him 2k cash for it. Haggle him a little bit and you will prolly drive away with it for 2.3k if hes not stubborn. If you can, bring a mechanic or someone knowledgeable of cars to look at it first. Find a few small things wrong with and make sure the owner knows that you recognize these things. He will be more likely it go at a lower price.

Or hold out untill you can but a GSX. In the long run you will wish you had. I have an RS and I love it but I would kill for a GSX. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:13 AM

130k is not bad at all just make sure the timing belt has been replaced if not then it needs to be like yesterday style if it has you can go for a while on that they are not really known for dieing out that quick i have been around them for a while and they are a good all around car but im with ole dude if you can i would hold out for a GST or GSX but thats just me

Old 04-01-2009, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

worst problem on those cars is the head gasket

Old 04-01-2009, 09:41 PM

You can buy a thicker head gasket for these things. I think they are about 5 dollars more but well worth it. Supposedly slightly more power and better for stopping leaks. When I saw slightly more i mean very very slightly.
These engines are known for head gasket leaks. Known for all around oil leaks. My engine had a killer oil pan leak. I think it might be leaking out the head gasket too but that a worry for another day.

Auto Zone or Advance should sell the thinker head gasket. I work for a main auto in GA. Also known as All Part or Uni-Select or Auto Plus. I know they sell them for sure. I was looking to buy one not too long ago. Stock will work too. Again, good luck.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

^^^you do realize that a head gasket isnt something that just "leaks" it is made of metal and when they go you will get major issues such as loss of compression, overheating, smoking, and can do damage to an engine continually run that way as well as bad gas mileage. A blown headgasket is not something you can simply ignore because if its bad youll know it

Old 04-02-2009, 08:52 PM

Your right. There is a difference between a blown head gasket one that is leaking. And I know for a fact that mine is not blown.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

no your not getting it. Its either a functioning head gasket or a blown headgasket. If its leaking then its blown (meaning that there is a break in the gasket itself)

Quick Reply: 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS