Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-63/)
-   -   2G GST Mods (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-63/2g-gst-mods-33662/)

ryan97gs 09-02-2009 02:57 PM

2G GST Mods

im looking to open up my gst a little bit but ive never had really any experience with turbos, i was looking at a apexi N1 cat back back, a megan racing hi flow cat, and apexi N1 downpipe, i was kinda curious(and this may come off not sounding right or may sound stupid) about a new manifold, what all is required when installing one, what would be the best one to buy and are you supposed to upgrade the turbo, like i said im a little new to turbos so any help/ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

tjbiker031 09-03-2009 07:40 AM

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/2gupgradepath.htm

In regaurds to your manifold question...the stock manifolds work great up to 400hp i believe. i would just port the manifold

jdmallwheelclipse 09-20-2009 11:47 PM

how hard is it to put a 6 bolt swap in ?

TheEngineer 09-21-2009 07:13 AM

http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/tech/1gina2g.pdf

not something that you really need to do however. I only reccomend thinking about it if your engine is toast and you need a new one, other than that, stick with the stock motor.

To the OP, Stick with just a downpipe and exhaust for now. Dont worry about the manifold until you want to be swapping the turbo (which requires alot more addons than one may think, please do some reasearch on this) and also you may want to look into a boost controller and boost gauge to get alittle more out of that car.

ryan97gs 09-22-2009 09:06 AM

ok so i finally fixed my idle issue and everything else that was wrong, now its the time to dive into the fun i guess, i ordered a apexi exhaust, apexi downpipe, injen intake, i was looking for a hi flow cat/test pipe, what would be the best one to go with, i was looking at precision 680cc injectors and a walbro pump, thoughts on that?? i have ordered a gauge pod, boost, air/fuel, and water temp gauge. i was looking at boost controllers and havent quite decided which would be the best to go with, any thoughts??

im wanting to build it up and work up to upgrading to a bigger turbo and intercooler, what all steps do i need to take in order to get there??

i thought about replacing the pulley kit with some lightweight ones, good idea bad idea

would it be a good idea to replace the cam gears and camshafts??

does anyone make a intake manifold and a bigger throttle body??

any other steps i need to make or should take??

any info would be greatly appreciated..........thanks

TheEngineer 09-22-2009 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by ryan97gs (Post 250468)
ok so i finally fixed my idle issue and everything else that was wrong, now its the time to dive into the fun i guess, i ordered a apexi exhaust, apexi downpipe, injen intake, i was looking for a hi flow cat/test pipe, what would be the best one to go with,

Actually im pretty sure that the downpipe will remove the stock cat and run directly from the o2 housing to the catback exhaust. So you shouldnt need to worry about the cat. But i may be wrong because i know that apexi sells different ones so it could differ.

i was looking at precision 680cc injectors and a walbro pump, thoughts on that??

Why? do you plan on upgrading the turbo later on? these mods are not necessary unless you have a 16g turbo. And until you have one installed they are worthless.

i have ordered a gauge pod, boost, air/fuel, and water temp gauge. i was looking at boost controllers and havent quite decided which would be the best to go with, any thoughts??

I hope that this wasnt a narrowband. If it was i say return it or cancel it because that guage is useless. You are better off leaving a spot open for a Wideband AF gauge. (please search if your not sure what im talking about. As far as boost controllers you can get them from anywhere. They are all universal. JoePMBC makes a decent one but honestly any ebay one will work. (to an extent, by that i mean not totally cheap)

im wanting to build it up and work up to upgrading to a bigger turbo and intercooler, what all steps do i need to take in order to get there??

it depends on what turbo. I would say 16g (in which case you want the fuel you asked about above) and then youll need a new IC and piping as well as a way to tune it (i would suggest an apexi SAFC for a beginner) as well as the Wideband guage i mentioned before. But honestly i would just start with the basics for now.

i thought about replacing the pulley kit with some lightweight ones, good idea bad idea

pointless

would it be a good idea to replace the cam gears and camshafts??

not unless your going for big power, again one of those mods that is for higher modification cars and not really necessary. I wouldnt reccomend it at this stage

does anyone make a intake manifold and a bigger throttle body??

again the TB is pointless and the manifold is way overkill for anything you would be planning at this time.

Hopefully this all helps. And also try and stay away from ebay. I have a feeling that with some of the parts you have bought they were ebay parts such as the exhaust and intake. I hope you bought authentic brand stuff and not the "Apexi n1 TYPE" exhaust.

But when telling you alot of this stuff there is always 2 major factors that come into play with any build on a car 1. Budget 2. Horsepower/track goals.

ryan97gs 09-22-2009 10:54 AM

that helps quite a bit, i NEVER buy any performance parts off ebay, i dont trust it at all, even if it says authentic i still have my doubts, there is a motorsports store a few miles from me that i go to and thats where ive ordered the exhaust and stuff, the gauges i actually didnt pay for, they are megan racing version 2 gauges, what exactly is the difference between narrowband and wideband, years ago the guy who owns the motorsport store accidentally messed up my order and it ended up taking 2 months to get my parts and hes always felt really bad about so he usually hooks me up with stuff either for free or really cheap, so it the gauges didnt really come out of my pocket haha

as far as the injectors i wasnt planning on buying them till i had worked up to a turbo, the 16g was actually what i had been looking at, i was actually wondering if when the time came for the turbo if the injectors and pump would be needed and anything else

i wasnt too sure as far as the cams,pulleys,etc because im having the timing belt and head gasket replaced and i thought since it was all going to be opened up if i should just go ahead and have it done, or if it would hurt anything

ryan97gs 09-22-2009 10:55 AM

for the most part i like to plan ahead and at least know what i need to do and what exactly im wanting to buy when the time comes

c577 09-22-2009 07:03 PM

full exhaust first then do intake w/a maf adapter and cone filter (btw i bought an ebay maf adapter because i thought how could even ebay screw up something so simple... well they did, the cheapest plastic crap I've ever seen, broke in half in two weeks.. don't even know how). boost gauge/controller obviously, a wideband and for the third gauge i went with an exhaust temp gauge. after that get your 16g in there with an aftermarket adjustable fuel pressure regulator, injectors, fuel pump, and either a safc safc2 safcNeo or dsmlink. i went with 550 injectors a wolboro 255hp fuel pump an aeromotive fpr and an apexi safc, should have gotten the safc2... but oh well. after that id go for the intercooler... and how about a stronger clutch???

+1 before you turn it up at all, get yourself an aftermarket blow off valve, i went with a GReddy RS

c577 09-22-2009 07:06 PM

oh almost forgot, at this point boost creep is driving me crazy. do yourself a favor and get an external wastegate.