2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

4g63 vs 4g64

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:57 PM
Default RE: 4g63 vs 4g64

This is what he said exactly in an email he sent me today:

I purchased the motor from Magnus motorsports in Canada. They rebuild the engines with high performance parts. They told me it was a 4g64 2.4 liter. Itis not the original 2.0 liter4g63 that came with my car. It has the stock 4g63 head with the 4g64 short block. The engine that Magnus is selling now is described as a 2.4 liter stroker. I believe that Magnus is now stroking the 4g63 2.0 to 2.4 liters, and may have discontinuedrebuilding the 4g64 blocks as they are no longer listed on their website ( http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/). I know for a fact that it is a 6 bolt block because I delivered the motor to the shop where it was put in, I ordered theflywheel (had an aluminum fidanza, now ACT chromoly) and ACT 2600 clutch. I hope this helps.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:10 AM

I would definately get him to show you the receipts to prove all of this work was actually done.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

once again there is no such thing as a 6bolt 4g64 . Look this guy doesnt know what he has. He's more than likely just got a 4g63 stroked motor. If that is the case and he has recepts to backup all the internals in the engine, when it was purchased and from who, then id buy it. That engine is gonna be good for 500+ HP

Old 12-05-2007, 02:26 PM

well i've heard of people using a 4g64 crank to stroke their 7-bolts to 2.4l... but definitely not a 6-bolt... im will to bet that they did do that, but he just doesnt understand that fact

Old 12-05-2007, 05:53 PM

If he is using a 4g64 crank to stroke a 7bolt to 2.4L's, where is that in relation to a 4g63 2.0Lengine? btw, I've told him that the engine he is talking about doesn't exist and I'm waiting for a reply.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:04 PM

Either way he prolly just has the engine code mixed up.. He prolly does have a 2.4L stroked motor either way.. And if he does, that is a nice motor! How much is he asking for the car? And what other mods does he have to go along with that motor?

Old 12-05-2007, 07:24 PM

This is his response after I told him that there was no such thing as a 6 bolt 4g64:

That's a damn good question. Magnus called it a "4g64 2.4 liter 6 bolt." I guess I don't know if it's a stroker or began life as a 2.4. Based on what you said there seems to be a conflict in information, but like I said Magnus called it a 4g64, and I'm POSITIVE it has a 6 bolt crank as I've seen it.

What would make the most sense is that it is a 1g 4g63 with a stroker crank, but that's not what Magnus said it was. It has the 2g 4g63 head on it (came with the car), with a 1g cam angle sensor on the cam (left side of head). I should have a pic or two of the engine up soon, but it doesn't show the block very well (it's in the car).

I always though it was a 6 bolt 4g64, since that's what Magnus called it. They now have an engine advertised as a 6 bolt stroker 2.4, which may be the same as what I got, but if it is they're not calling it a 4g64 anymore. If there's no such thing as a 6 bolt 4g64 it must be something else. I do know that I paid Magnus about $4500 (plus an $1500 install kit) about 3 years/30,000 mi ago, that it has high compression pistons/performance rods (I believe Pistal/Crower), balance shafts removed (again I saw the block up close and personal), 1g water pump, and an eprom ecu with dsmlink chip, cable and software.

That's about as much as I can tell you about the engine. All I know is what Magnus told me and what I've seen. I'm no dsm expert. If you say there is no such thing as a 4g64 6 bolt I'll have to believe you. Magnus' site does say something about a custom billet crank, I suppose it is possible it's a 4g64 with a custom built 6 bolt crank, but I couldn't tell you.

He has told me this car also has an upgraded turbo equivalent to a 16g, but hasn't upgraded injectors. It has an ACT clutch as well. He is asking for 4K+

Old 12-05-2007, 08:32 PM

I say stay away from that car and any others that have been "built" because you don't know what is going on in that motor especially if you didn't do it yourself or have taken it somewhere to get it done yourself. Buy something that is stock or nearly stock and start out fresh man, that way you know every part and all work that has gone into the car... But something definately stinks here with this one!

Old 12-06-2007, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

it sounds like a good deal to me. The only thing in there that i dont really like is that he said it has "higher" compression pistons. That doesnt make sense because on a turbo car you dont really want higher compression. You want forged and maybe alittle lower depending

Old 09-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Default Lots of bad advice and information in this thread

I know this thread is from 2007, but I still found it today. And I hate bringing up dead threads just as much as the next guy, but there is a lot of information in here that needs to get corrected, before someone looking at one of these cars gets the wrong idea.

4G64 did come as a 6-bolt, it was more commonly known as a G4CS block, it is found in 91-92 Hyundai Sonata's, and is an easier swap than the 7-bolt 4G64, that you can find in an 96-99 Eclipse Spyder GS (they didn't make Spyders in 95). I have heard, that there is a block that has the 4G64 etching, and is a 6-bolt. (I have never seen one with my own eyes)

The difference between the G4CS/4G64 engines and the 4G63 engines is more than just the length of the stroke (tho most of the added displacement comes from the 100mm crankshaft, as opposed to the 4G63's 88mm crank) the bore is also different.

the 4G63 head will fit on these blocks, and all the timing will line up just as if it were a 4g63 block. If the engine really was built by magnus then there is nothing to worry about. I would personally take anything from magnus motorsports that I could find! (I would still ask for receipts, if he couldn't get them to you then at least check the etched-in block code)

You CANNOT just take a 4g63 block and stroke it to 2.4 liters!!! These engines are already interference engines (if you don't know what that means then you should NEVER give someone engine advice, go look it up) and stroking it to 2.4L would drive the piston into the cylinder head.

The OP didn't put a lot of info in his original question, and that was his bad. But the rest of you shouldn't go on making wild-*** assumptions like you did. You were all wrong, none of you knew what you were talking about, and therefore, should NOT have posted any information on this. There wasn't a single person on this thread that went and researched a damn thing. I saw a bunch of "I thinks" on there. He didn't ask what you think, he asked what you KNEW!

I hope you idiots that didn't know what you were talking about didn't scare him away from this car, because it was an AWESOME find!!!

Quick Reply: 4g63 vs 4g64