2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

6bolt vs 7bolt

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 08:48 PM
Default 6bolt vs 7bolt

Besides having some of the 7 bolt crank walking what are the benefits of a 7 bolt vs a 6 bolt. Can the 6 or 7 bolt with just stock internals handle more power. Or is there no difference in there limits. What is there lmits..

Old 07-31-2006, 10:39 PM
Default RE: 6bolt vs 7bolt

No real difference performance wise as far as the bottom end goes. An Ideal setup would be a 6 bolt motor with 2g manifolds.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:46 AM

yah i got a 6 bolt setup with a 2 g manifold. its just warped >.<... leaks a bit of exhaust.. manage to weld up the cracks. Kinda helps. One other question is, what can the stock internals handle with all supporting mods.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:02 AM

... errr alot lol, or should I say enough. I have seen 35psi on a stock bottom end, a dyno vid anyway, but on the second pull the kid threw a rod so I would say 30psi to be safe and thats asuming its in good condition.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:41 AM

the 6bolt is a lot more stout. it can handle more and has a lower compression thus = horsepower. and 6bolt or 1g, however you want to look at it, has the ability to crank walk.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

obviously it has the ability. But it is not a factory defect, like the 7-bolt. Frankly i am really tired of talking about this. No matter how much we beat this do death it doesnt do anything.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:54 AM

ORIGINAL: patsevo8

the 6bolt is a lot more stout. it can handle more and has a lower compression thus = horsepower. and 6bolt or 1g, however you want to look at it, has the ability to crank walk.
did you have a nightmare about crank walk or somehting, its like every post OMG crank walk up yo ***... you going to be a'ight?

Old 08-01-2006, 06:43 PM

just to set some facts strait:
6bolt block vs 7 bolt block: no difference in power potential, they are both strong blocks.
6 bolts came with lower compression pistons and thicker rods, so have the ability to run higher boost without detonating, but make slightly less power from the factory.
as for manifolds, you guys need to specify "exhaust" manifold, as the 2g exh mani is bigger.
1g intake mani/tb is bigger than 2g, makes more high end power, 2g intake mani have better midrange/street power and spools turbos a tab quicker.

This subject has been beaten. So in a nutshell all you need to know:
-For those who have working motors, there is no logic in swapping, you will spend thousands and wont gain any worthwhile power.
-For those who have a broken/crankwalked 7 bolt, either get a complete 6 bolt motor, OR get a 6 bolt block with 1g rods and 2g pistons if you still want your midrange power and want some insurance with stronger rods (what I did)
-For those who want to spend lots of money and plan on running insane boost, swap in a 6 bolt motor.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:12 PM

awesome response thanks..

Old 08-01-2006, 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: DSMTalonAWD51

just to set some facts strait:
6bolt block vs 7 bolt block: no difference in power potential, they are both strong blocks.
6 bolts came with lower compression pistons and thicker rods, so have the ability to run higher boost without detonating, but make slightly less power from the factory.
as for manifolds, you guys need to specify "exhaust" manifold, as the 2g exh mani is bigger.
1g intake mani/tb is bigger than 2g, makes more high end power, 2g intake mani have better midrange/street power and spools turbos a tab quicker.

This subject has been beaten. So in a nutshell all you need to know:
-For those who have working motors, there is no logic in swapping, you will spend thousands and wont gain any worthwhile power.
-For those who have a broken/crankwalked 7 bolt, either get a complete 6 bolt motor, OR get a 6 bolt block with 1g rods and 2g pistons if you still want your midrange power and want some insurance with stronger rods (what I did)
-For those who want to spend lots of money and plan on running insane boost, swap in a 6 bolt motor.
STICKY!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 6bolt vs 7bolt