2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

95 GST Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 11:47 PM
Default 95 GST Question

Hi, I am looking at a 95 Eclipse GST. Quite a bit done to engine/suspension, greddy,apexi, good parts. I called a buddy of mine about it and he said its a great car, fun to drive but expensive to fix. Is this true? He made it sound like it could run you broke. I've done searching on the web and some people say they are great and have no problems and others have tons of money in them to fix it. So my question is are they really that bad, expensive, always in the shop kind of cars or not?

Old 12-23-2006, 02:52 AM
Default RE: 95 GST Question

the 95 models, along with all of thesecond gen'sare prone to crankwalk, so people that are going to build up their engine (if they're smart) will do a 7 to 6 bolt swap, basically taking the engine from a first gen and putting it intoa second gen. this will let you build up your motor without having to worry about crankwalk. this is an expensive step to take but definately worth it in the long run. and besides this, you own a dsm, so yes it is going to be expensive to fix, but you will be very happy with the results

Old 12-23-2006, 03:19 AM
Banned

They are pretty cheap to fix.. however you end up fixing them alot so it adds up lol

Old 12-23-2006, 03:36 AM

thats what i was trying to say, gimme a break, i have been up since like 4yesterday morning, and its almost 2 in the morning now

Old 12-23-2006, 04:38 AM

alright thanks, yeah the one im looking at the engine has already been rebuilt from bottom up i believe. This should help some though right? With the having to fix it all of the time problem?

Old 12-23-2006, 04:41 AM
Banned

yeah for the most part. I mean.. lots of tiny little things mess up... but that can happen to any car

Old 12-23-2006, 04:52 AM

thanks alot bro, that helped me alot.

Old 12-23-2006, 10:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Natedogg89

alright thanks, yeah the one im looking at the engine has already been rebuilt from bottom up i believe. This should help some though right? With the having to fix it all of the time problem?
I would ask to see the receipts. Anyone can say this and that was done. You can't see what was done to the internals, you know what I'm saying? At least you can see an SMIM, I/C piping, FMIC, AFPR, 6 bolt swap, even the injectors (you have to know what you're looking at though, lol). Anyway, don't take the guy for his word.
Crankwalk is talked about too much. It doesn't happen as much as most think it does. A lot of times it happens when folks don't do their supporting mods and just abuse their cars! I've read a lot of "crankwalk" threads and most end with..."yeah, I treated my car like crap and I just turned up the boost and hardly ever maintained it!"...not in those words of course, but that's how they read, between the lines. There are 7 bolts running ~500+whp out there, but they are well supported and not just a bigger turbo. Yes, 6 bolts are much less prone to crankwalk, but it can still happen. It's not as if a 7 bolt has paper thin journals, bearings, or crank..where a 6 bolt is uber thick everything. Come on, the 4G64 is a 7 bolt and people are flocking to that nowadays. Don't be afraid of a 7 bolt and don't be stupid and neglect it and you'll be fine. I'm sure Manybrews will agree about that last part
If you get this GS-T, don't just swap it to a 6 bolt...run with it until it's time, if it even comes up, just have a 6 bolt handy. That's my 2.

Old 12-23-2006, 01:45 PM

Wow thanks, yeah he has all of the recipts for everything so when i go and look at it ill take a look at them. If i do get it though ill get some pics on here sometime for ya.

Old 12-24-2006, 04:54 AM

The biggest reason people spend so much fixing them is b/c of the movies and the way they drive them.. If you drove your eclipse like your grandma drives her caddy, you wouldnt be sticking as much into it.. But if your gonna get on it daily and see what it can do, you'll be like 80% of the people that own them, fixing them every other month..

Quick Reply: 95 GST Question