2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

98 Spyder Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Default 98 Spyder Problem

I just checked the compression its 150psi accross the board, but its a hard start and a ruff idle and its using oil. Can it just be a head gasket??? Please help!!! I need you!!!

THanks,
Scott

Old 01-23-2010, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

doubtful if your not seeing smoke or losing coolant and that you got good compression. My first thing to try and figure out is where is the oil going. Is the car smoking at all. Because if not then its not burning the oil but there must be a leak. If you are getting smoke then what color is it?

Old 01-24-2010, 12:00 AM
Default Problem

I have oil coming out of the tail pipe. I only have smoke in the cold morning, it might just be condinsation??? Its white / gray not black... Also I had too turn the idle way up so when I so start it, it wont die...

Last edited by Jokerzwild; 01-24-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:19 PM
Lightbulb Oil leak

If it only does it in the morning, then the oil may be leaking in through the valve stems. you would need check you valve stem seals. Thats where I would look at first. White smoke typically means theres a coolant leak, hows your coolant level? Since your compression is good, maybe you have a crack in the head? Just throwing out ideas right now. Have you done any work on your engine recently and if so what? How long has this problem been going on, and did you notice anything strange around the time the smoke started?

Last edited by andyvr2; 01-24-2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: More ideas
Old 01-25-2010, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by andyvr2
If it only does it in the morning, then the oil may be leaking in through the valve stems. Would this cause a drop in compression if this was happening? White smoke typically means theres a coolant leak, hows your coolant level? Coolant level is good, I also checked to see if there was any bubbles in the oil, there was none. Since your compression is good, maybe you have a crack in the head? I thought that, but there dosent seem to be any oil leaks coming off the head. Just throwing out ideas right now. Have you done any work on your engine recently and if so what? How long has this problem been going on, and did you notice anything strange around the time the smoke started?
Unfortunately due to our wonderful economy I lost my main car to get to work, my office is 80 miles 1 way. Luckily I never sold my Eclipse, so it sat for 3 years and it started up no problem, but was already starting too use oil. 1 year later it’s much, much worse, I turned the throttle up to keep it running and it take 2-3min of cranking in the morning just to get it going. Maybe its just hopeful wishing it’s the head; do you think it might be the main-seal since it still has compression? How I did the test just to let you all know, I took a compression gage took out all 4 sparkplugs and cranked the motor till I got my reading, then repeat and so on. I’m not a complete moron when it comes to cars, but I am not a wiz either and this is why I am asking and very appreciative for all the help you guys are giving me. Think of it this way you guys might keep me out of the insane asylumJ.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have the 2.4 sohc or the 2.0 dohc turbo? If your burining oil you'll see a nice puff of blue smoke. Also look under the engine and check it for leaks.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:29 PM

It shouldn’t affect the compression. When you test for compression the valve can be sealed up completely at the head inside the cylinder, but further up the stem toward the valve spring, under the valve cover, the valve stem guide/seals could have a very small leak. This would allow the oil in the head to slowly leak down the stem and pool at the head of the valve. Then when you crank your engine the oil falls into the cylinder and burns up causing it to smoke briefly. This leak would take hours so that’s why you only see it in the morning, because it has leaked all night. The only thing is, I don’t really know how to check the seals, because I've never had to fortunately, I just look through the forums and try to use the Haynes and Chilton Manuals to try to help out others. Hope this helps some.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:38 AM
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by dsm1990gsx
Do you have the 2.4 sohc or the 2.0 dohc turbo? If your burining oil you'll see a nice puff of blue smoke. Also look under the engine and check it for leaks.
I have the 2.4, I have not noticed any smoke from the motor. I looked for it 2 see if there was a cracked head, leaking from the block or gaskets.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:39 AM
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by andyvr2
It shouldn’t affect the compression. When you test for compression the valve can be sealed up completely at the head inside the cylinder, but further up the stem toward the valve spring, under the valve cover, the valve stem guide/seals could have a very small leak. This would allow the oil in the head to slowly leak down the stem and pool at the head of the valve. Then when you crank your engine the oil falls into the cylinder and burns up causing it to smoke briefly. This leak would take hours so that’s why you only see it in the morning, because it has leaked all night. The only thing is, I don’t really know how to check the seals, because I've never had to fortunately, I just look through the forums and try to use the Haynes and Chilton Manuals to try to help out others. Hope this helps some.
Thanks I will defently take it apart and check the valves, this is what I hoped for I will need 2 wait a week or so till my luck turns around

Old 01-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Lightbulb Idea on how to check

I was thinking on trying to check and I had an idea. One way, or at least I would try it this way, is to remove the Valve cover and Intake manifold. Then maybe use a scope or mirror and light and try to look into each intake to try to see any oil that may have leaked down. This should allow you to figure out exactly which ones need to be replaced. Just an idea to try out. Hope you get it fixed.

Quick Reply: 98 Spyder Problem