2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

air leak? idle horribly

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Default air leak? idle horribly

So I've just installed my Greddy upper and lower i/c pipings about a week ago. Drove fine no problem whatsoever until last night. When I was coming home after dropping my cousin off from the club, I notice that I was starting to slow down significantly. My stock boost gauge was in full boost while my after market read 0. The peddle also won't go down as far. And when I do gas, I can hear this woosh of air coming out from where the pipes and intercooler are, and the car makes no power at all. So I exited the freeway and took the small streets home. When I'm at a stop, it idles horrible at around 200 rpm to 1k rpm and does so back and forth. It's on the verge of dying, but doesn't die. I am not venting into the atmosphere and my bov is recirculated. In park/neutral, I am able to rev up to 4k rpm and it won't go anymore. I can also hear air coming out. I've checked all the clamps and I can't seem to pin point the problem. Would anyone have a general idea of what's going on? I'd greatly appreciate a response. Thanks.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Default RE: air leak? idle horribly

check ur vaccum gauge line for ur after market boost gauge. mine use to blow off all the time, but i didnt have those symptoms. check ur vaccm lines and make sure u didnt break a clamp.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:17 PM

thnx. i did a thorough check up this time and found the problem. the pipe that connected to the intercooler was loose so air kept leaking. from the top view, everything looks fine, but once i got below, i found the problem.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

Do yourself a favor and buy good t-bolt clamps and also good silicone couplings. (if your kit didnt come with them). Because this will be happening alot

Old 10-20-2008, 03:57 PM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

Do yourself a favor and buy good t-bolt clamps and also good silicone couplings. (if your kit didnt come with them). Because this will be happening alot
The man speaks the truth.
Those worm clamps are horrible for holding pressures past 10psi when their new, worst and less when they're worn out.
I used to have that issue with worm clamps and the stock hoses (cut and used as couplers). It was a temp job, but very irritating to say the least.