2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Are all your cars legal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Default Are all your cars legal?

I don't mean this to offend anyone. Because hell, I'd like to have a car like you guys do. But it seems you guys are able to get like 400 hp out of your car, and just do crazy things with that 4 cylinder engine. Did any of you actually passed inspection?! I want to upgrade mine to make it fast, but I'm not really sure if that's a good idea. I want a turbo, but I'm REALLY not sure. Mine is just a regular 99 GS. Can you guys tell me a little about your cars? Like how fast you can go/HP/etc. I'm quite shocked when I saw some youtube videos of some of these guys(probably one of you reading this), modding an eclipse to hit 1000hp. I'm not looking to go anywhere near that realm of insanity. I just want a fast car. A fast and legal car. But I wouldn't mind hearing about all the badboy eclipses out there. ^_^

Old 01-23-2008, 10:14 PM
Default RE: Are all your cars legal?

ok. ur not ganna go fast with a GS everone will tell u this. first is first. buy a gsx or gst. ull b amazed on how much different more u can get from them.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:44 PM

Lol yeah a lot of ppl are amazed my car passes. The only reason I pass is cuz I give my buddy a tip,lol as long as my cel is off any car can be passed. Cuz they can always slap another car on the dyno for emissions. As long as they can plug in he car into the machine and it says no codes then ure all set. And yeah I would say sell the gs and buy a gst or gsx. Cuz every1's gunna tell u to, and they're right. I use to have a gs and have a gst now with sum decent mods and I luv it

Old 01-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Banned

Well, if its speed your after, the Eclipse GSX is a much better place to start.

Where the power comes from, is larger turbos, more boost, higher octane fuel, a f- load of a/f ratio tuning.... etc.

What are your goals? What is your budget?

Old 01-23-2008, 11:04 PM

Well...I'm HOPING for reliability as well. And I had heard very had stories about the turbos. So that was why I had gotten the GS instead of a GSX or a GST in the beginning. Are GSX more reliable than GST? And I think I would risk reliability now. How would I maintain the turbo? I need all the information I can get. Anything is good. Thank you everyone for helping me out.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:08 PM

well reliebility all depends on many things, like how well you take car of the car(keeping up with maintenance and tune-ups,oil changes,.....) and if you beat the bag outta the car every day,lol also if you upgrade turbo's and upgrade this and that, it all depends on the way you mix the products, say you slap a 50 trim on it with a stock fuel pump or sum crazy s*** like that then you'll risk reliability, well it's gunna sh** the bed soon, but if you play it smart then u're good
and i think the gst and gsx are about the same in reliability?!?! but not sure

Old 01-23-2008, 11:16 PM
Banned

The differences from the GS vs the GST/GSX in terms of reliability:

Of course less power usually means more reliable. I mean, lets use common sense, less power = less stress on everything.

You would be right to think the GS is more reliable than the Turbo model Eclipse. Why? Well its a few very simple things. Mostly, due to the cars so cheap availability, everyone wants a cheap, affordable car that is reasonably quick, and it makes a decent change from the Civic they are used to. So, they snap one up. Where this becomes a problem is, no money + breakage = ghetto fixes. Thats what typically happens. Some dont even have the money to change their damn oil. Not to mention a lot of people my age (17) buy them and just beat the ever loving **** out of them.

If you find one that has not been abused, it will last just as long asa GS would. Finding one however, is not so easy. One big cure for this, is a built motor. They range from 3k-10k. A GSX with a built motor will be as strong as just about anything.I mean, as long as you dont mind having a pre-modded car, i would say hell yeah do it. You can pick them up for the same price as an un-abused stock GSX... so why not? I have seen GSX's with built motors, built transmissions, decent turbo, injectors.. blah blah blah... and they go for about 7k+. So, your talking about a 400hp car, that is going to be ROCK solid, for 7k. That is what im chasing right now....

Or if you dont want to bother with that... get an EVO lol

Also, when you turbo the GS, reliability goes out the window anyway. Seriously, so much cost and time is needed, not to mention you could still have continuous problems. Not to mention, they are front wheel drive. So as soon as you start making any decent power, you have zero traction. Fun eh?

So, unless you are emotionally attached to the GS for some odd reason.... i say get rid of it lol.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:24 PM

i tried turboing my first car, which was a gs, and yeah lets never talk about that again,haha

Old 01-23-2008, 11:25 PM

It is MY first real car. I used to run my brother's cars. Now I finally got my own, and so I'm happy. But damn, so I want a GSX now. And what's an EVO? I know it's probably a joke to everyone here. But I seriously don't know s-h-i-t about cars. I'm actually looking into the 3000gt and Nissan 300zx. Those are some NICE cars. Especially the 91-93 3000gt VR-4 with AWD. My friend has one, and it makes me jealous. You think an eclipse can beat a 3000gt VR-4? Not intended to start an argument by the way. Just a curious question that I actually have no answer to.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:52 PM
Banned

EMonz57 has one. Basically they can handle 500+hp on the stock motor, they are all wheel drive, and you can pick a 2003 with 55k for about 18k right now.

If your knowledge is limited, I say take the time to get educated before you bite off more than you can chew. Modding a GSX is a lot easier than turboing a GS. It would be tedious for an experienced person.

Quick Reply: Are all your cars legal?