2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

always something

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 11:23 PM
Default always something

okay as i was wraping up my install of my pretty and new a/f guage when i looked under the car i notice i have a new oil leak coming out of my transmission inspection plate im praying to god its not cranck walk but i'm not sure what to look for or listen for to diagnose crankwalk but i figure i'll be told to use the search function, but there is not bering noise just a oil leak and thats bad enough but i was wandering what the warning signs are and what i can do to extend the motors life .

Old 06-18-2007, 11:29 PM
Banned
Default RE: always something

Let me guess.... a narrowband gauge?

With an auto tranny there is nothing you can do to extend the life...

If you had crankwalk.. your motor would have gone pop by now. A leaky trans is not crankwalk

Old 06-18-2007, 11:43 PM

it was motor oil not gearbox oil i have heard a loud bang under hard acceleration so i guess it is crankwalk, it has happened twice both times under hard acceleration

Old 06-19-2007, 12:36 AM
Banned

No..... its is not crankwalk. More than likely a backfire. Your car wouldnt be running.. and there would be a constant extremely loud knock.. and you wouldnt be able to go more than 2 miles

Old 06-19-2007, 07:25 AM

Yea, dude, face it. Its not C/W, ask Nate what his car did before it walked. Youre just leaking a fluid. That bang is more likely to be your transmission or engine mounts being bad and shifting under high pressure.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

leaking oil is not a sign of crankwalk. Low oil pressure is the sign. You just have a leak somewhere. What exactly happens under hard accel. Does the car bog when it bangs, cuz it might only be fuel cut. Little more detail please

Old 06-19-2007, 10:46 PM

liheres a little more info i took the car to my uncles today and put it up on a lift removed the inspection plate and used my micrometers and the crank is still in spec as far as play . my guess is that its just getting old and needs to be rebuilt due to the fact that i'm getting a lot more power to the wheels and im running a mad amount of boost that the engine is not used to anyhow my buddy has a 4g63 turbo 6 bolt from a 1st gen he only wants $500 for i feel that that is more than a fair price for the motor and ton of parts i think i really meed to get inside one of these motors before i do any more mods once again thank you guys for your input and i did use the search function to try to find out what the symptoms were for crank walk w/ no avail so i thought i'd ask well issue almost resolved and thx you guys made my day and sebba lets see wideband $70 and i got mine for 5 bucks what would you do ?

Old 06-19-2007, 11:03 PM
Banned

There is nothing wrong with the engine... why swap it out. I dont understand.

you got a WIDEBAND that displays actual numbers.. not just RICH - NORMAL - LEAN.. for $5? If so then my hats off to you.. and i want your connections.

I really cant believe that you cannot find anything... google "What is crankwalk" and you will have hundreds.

The boost you are pushing (im guessing is like 17ish) is not considered high by DSM owners at all. High on that motor would be 25+. Yes it can handle it.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:54 PM

look i think i may have assumed the worst because my day was not going that good and it would just figure that the car would die , but it does bang when i shift into third but from my experiance its probably a mount since fwds seem to suffer from wheel hop and i belive you guys when you say its not crank walk , however i was going to rebuild the 6-bolt i can get for 500 not the 7-bolt in the car and if you need parts i can get them at dealerlist price not retail just because i work at a shop where the owner doesn't care what i do as far as ordering parst for my cars or my friends cars its a nice little hook up but most of my aftermarket hook up are thru other guys

Old 06-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Banned

Why would you want to rebuilt the 6 bolt? Its not as easy as just dropping one in either. Do a search for 6 bolt swap kit and you will find everything.

If there is nothing wrong with your 7 bolt.. then dont worry about it. Simply tack the leak down .. and fix it.

Well when i actually get a car (i just moved in the country) if i need something i will run it through you. Thanks.

Quick Reply: always something