2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Amp troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 03:19 AM
Default Amp troubleshooting

Hey guys,I know this forum is for the eclipse and I have one,but the question I have is regarding a stereo instalation.I also know there is a stereo forum here but it doesn't hardly get checked.The problem is that I am having is I ran all the wiring to both of my amps and they both show they have power but there is no sound coming from them.I am unsure that I grounded them in the right place,but even if I didn't would the power lights still come on?The only other thing I can think of is that I didn't put the RC cables in the right place.Anyone got any thing else it could be?Thanks in advance.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:48 AM
Default RE: Amp troubleshooting

what are the amps for? check the RC cable placing, the RC cables themselves (they can go bad), check the wires from the amp to the speakers and make sure that it's fresh wire plugged into both sides. if you are getting power it's not a ground. if an amp is for a set of component speakers, check the crossovers, make sure the wiring is 1 correct and 2 make sure that the crossovers aren't blown. hope this helps

Old 08-17-2006, 11:04 AM

I appreciate the help.I am going out right now and check all the wiring.If someone else has any suggestions that would be very helpful.One amp is for the subs and I have another for the rear 6x9's and also for a set of 6.5's.The amps have built in cross-overs so the only wires coming in are the RC cables from the head unit and the only speaker wires are going out to the subs and the front and rear speakers.Thanks again RC.I'll let ya know what happens.

Old 08-17-2006, 11:45 AM

from what i can gather it sounds like it's all in the right direction... just check all of your connections, make sure that all of your but connectors are connected and secure. double check the RC cables, and make sure that the speaker wire you are using to run to your speakers from the amps are in good condition. let me know what you find out.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:08 PM

also if you're not getting anything from the subs after the speakers are working make sure you have the connections right on the subs themselves, they might be sucking instead of pushing and sometimes they don't do anything at all if they're not connected right.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:34 PM

It could be that you dont have a good enough ground. I've had amps that when my ground came disconnected there is still a light that lights up showing that there is juice going into the amp. Also make sure you have a remote wire running from you head unit to the amp. Without one the amp is basically not on because it never got a signal to turn on. RC wires only run the sound to the amp and it is possible that your RC out on your receiver are bad. Most receivers now that have RC controls have a sub off function (reason for remote wire) which shuts down the amp. There are many things which could cause what you are describing just takes some looking around. I've had so many systems and installed so many systems for people and They can be very finicky at times.

Old 08-18-2006, 12:38 AM

Alright guys,I have narrowed it down to a bad ground connection.I had it grounded inder the rear seat and I guess that wasn't good enough.I drilled a hole where the car jack is stored and it seemed to work just fine untill I was about 10 minutes away from the house and the subs gave a helluva noise and it wouldn't stop.I stopped the van and turned it back on and the noise was still there but not as bad.I have one amp on the subs and one for my front speakers.The 6x9's started gettin so stupid I just unpluged them completly.Does anyone know of a better grounding spot for me to try.Oh yea,btw,I did have a couple of the wires connected wrong too..lol.I'll let ya know what happenes.Thanx for the advice.

Old 08-18-2006, 01:06 AM

ur rca cables may be to close to ur power wire

Old 08-18-2006, 01:09 AM

In some rare cases the power wire does interfere with the sound but anyways just ground it so something that is really solid.

Old 08-18-2006, 01:05 PM

groundif it wasn't grounded well enought the amp would either not cut on at all or it would be flickering on and off so it's not that. remote if the remote wouldn't kll the sound. if the remote were not hooked up or not connected right the amp would just stay on alll the time. rc cables yes, like i said before the rc cables sound like the best plausible problem here, i would swap out the rc cables, if that doesn't work it is possible that the rc cable output on the stereo is messed up. you can set up a ground anywhere, DON'T put it where the jack is, there's a hole at the bottom of there if you somehow get water on that ground.... bad news. you can ground it where you had it under the seat (that's where mine was before i relocated my battery) just make sure where you are grounding it you have scraped off the paint to the bare metal... if you have it grounded to a painted part of the car it probably won't ground right. get back to us after going over everything. where are you located?

Quick Reply: Amp troubleshooting