2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

brake light stays on...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 02:24 PM
Default brake light stays on...

this morning when i started my eclipse...i let off the emergency brake, but the brake light stayed lit... i know my front brake pads need replaced so does anyone know if this triggered the light to stay on???? or could it be another problem?? thanks!

Old 09-28-2005, 02:44 PM
Default RE: brake light stays on...

Brake pads themselves won't trigger a light...The e-brake cable may not be releasing fully and it could be catching from not being used that much...Sometimes a "brake light" could come on from low fluid, the master cylinder going bad, or if something is wrong with the ABS system with cars equipped with it, or anything of the sorts...I would just try working the lever and pushing it down as hard as you can on it and see what happens.

Old 09-28-2005, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with everything Shreff said except for the ABS thing. Usually there is a seperate light for ABS problems. But definately work the E-brake lever and see if that loosens things up and turns the light off. OR you may simply have a switch that's gone bad and needs replaced. The pads though will not cause the light to stay on.

Old 09-28-2005, 03:23 PM

I work at a dealership in sales and not all vehicles have an "ABS" light ..I've seen different things..But yeah, work that lever girl!!

Old 09-28-2005, 03:34 PM

how cold is it? if it was cold the ebrake cable has water in it and it froze if this is the case than i suggest getting a new cable or you can wd-40 or somthing of that nature but it might come back if you do that.

Old 09-28-2005, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think it's anything with the cable itself as long as the brake actually workes when the lever is pulled. Also you may have just not put the e-brake lever down far enough (I've done that a few times then see the light like halfway downt he road and put the lever the rest of the way down LOL). If it was the cable then the e-brake would either be stuck completely or wouldn't engage.

Old 09-28-2005, 04:10 PM

Thank you.....exactly what I said[8D]

Old 09-28-2005, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

No I said it ISN'T anything to do with the brake cable. The e-brake light is triggered by lever position not by cable position. Try disconnecting your cable from the lever and pull the lever up the light WILL come on even though the cable isn't pulled. Therefore the cable is NOT going to be part of the problem at all. Not if the car wasn't staying put when the lever was pulled or it was tough to get thte car moving and smelled like burning brakes then I'd say the cable is the problem. As it is I'd say the switch is worn out and needs replaced.

Old 09-28-2005, 04:18 PM

no because i had this happen on my truck which made me think check the springs if they are streched out than the ebrake will let most of the cable out but not quite enough to turn the light off.

Old 09-28-2005, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah but if you pushed down on the lever all the way it SHOULD knock the light out whether the cable is pulled back all the way or not. Now if it goes out when she pushes the lever all the way down and when she lets go of it it comes back on then I would say it is a good posibility of being the springs like you say. but my point is that it's not the cable at all. The cable is in no way directly affecting the light by being either stuck or broken. Also need to know whether the e-brake was used consisttently and this just popped up or if it hadn't been used in forever and was merely being tested and now holds the light on?

Quick Reply: brake light stays on...