2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Car Won't Start....

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Default Car Won't Start....

Please help. My car won't start. I thought it was the starter at first, but after removing it and having it tested, the starteris ok.
The guy at the auto parts store (who tested the starter) told me to just check the wires and cables. I checked them and everything is ok. Chlton's manual is not very helpful.

I took a video to since i'm not sure how to describe it.

http://www.youtube.com/v/rERXQCL82R4

I'd appreciate any input you may have.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:43 PM
Banned
Default RE: Car Won't Start....

Seems like it fired once or twice... my guess is its not getting fuel

Take out a spark plug... attach is to the spark wire.. and crank it... have someone look for a spark. If you dont see a spark and your wondering if its still sparking.. just grab it.. you will get a tiny zap.. notihng major. Sometimes you just cant see the spark.

The easiest way to find out if you have fuel is check if there is unburnt gas on the spark plugs... it will be black with a shiney coating. Hold the gas down while you are trying to start it... then check.

If you have no spark but you have fuelthen my guess is either a fuse or the ignition control module.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:23 AM

^^ My thoughts too.

Sebba, get out of here, you're on vacation!! lol
You just can't stay out can you? lmao....that's ok, I did it when I was in VA, lol.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:47 AM
Banned

I have a problem [:@]

Old 06-29-2007, 03:40 PM

i have dial up so i dont wannna watch the video.. but does it crank over at all? if it does but just dont catch make sure u have spark, fuel,compression,... it could be a crank sensor... or mabye cam sensor.. or fuel relay.. im still needing help on mine..cause its not starting...

Old 06-29-2007, 08:06 PM

ORIGINAL: xp8ntballkid309x

i have dial up so i dont wannna watch the video.. but does it crank over at all? if it does but just dont catch make sure u have spark, fuel,compression,... it could be a crank sensor... or mabye cam sensor.. or fuel relay.. im still needing help on mine..cause its not starting...
Nope, won't start. He's also got a GSX. Regardless, it could still be his crank and/or cam sensor. They are a pain to get to though on a 4g63 because they are behind the timing belt cover, the crank sensor is behind the lower and the cam sensor is behind the intake cam gear.
Yours, xp8ntballkid309x, are in similar places, just remember that yours is different. I'll check out your thread in a bit too.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:08 AM
Banned

Silver, its not the CAS because if it was it wouldnt have fired that once or twice........ would it?

Old 06-30-2007, 07:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Sebba

Silver, its not the CAS because if it was it wouldnt have fired that once or twice........ would it?
I don't think it to be his crank or cam sensor, unless he's got an oil leak and some has gotten onto the sensors. The 4g63 cam/crank sensors are well hidden from outside dirt and debris to malfunction unlike the 420a cam/crank sensors where they are composite plastic and right there in the open. I was just commenting on the two sensors for xp8ntballkid309x, I don't think it's the OP's sensors. The ECU would go out before those things...ok, maybe not, but you know what I mean, lol.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:19 PM
Banned

LOL ok just makin sure

Old 07-03-2007, 06:42 PM

I brought my car in last week to PepBoys and they said the problem was with the Ignition coil. They said they replaced it and the car would start, but won't hold idle. They weren't able to figure out why the car won't hold idle so they installed back the old parts and told me to take my car back. At least they didn't charge me anything.

I got my car back now. I removed and tested the ignition coil. I also brought it to Autozone for a second test. Both tests were fine. So, the ignition coil is fine. Not defective at all, contrary to what PepBoys said.

So far, I have checked the following: Starter, Ignition Coil, and Power Transistor. My next step now is to check the CAM or crank sensor.

Thanks for all your replies.

Quick Reply: Car Won't Start....