2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

car wont start conclusion

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 11:17 PM
Default car wont start conclusion

the shop we took it to finally figured out that the piston rings had shrunk.

my grandpa took the battery to get it checked because we thought it was dead so when he went back to hook it up again he did it backwords so it shorted the computer and some other stuff. so when we put more oil in it since it was very low and keep trying to start the car, the turning over of the car caused the rings to heat up and shrink when caused the no compression in the engine.

so what i want to know is that , is there an easy way to change the piston rings? if so what is it.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:19 PM
Banned
Default RE: car wont start conclusion

Rebuild it. Strip it down and change them.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

nope you gotta remove the head to even get to them. Not an easy fix.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:01 AM

cant you get to it thru by taking the oil pan off? not sure, thats why im asking

Old 02-01-2007, 12:16 AM
Banned

You can remove them that way... not sure if you would be able to get the pistons back in the same way but i believe its possible.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:31 AM

that would be so ****ing hard, lol. Take off the head, and oil pan, then you can disconnect the rods from the crank at the bottom , and pull them out the top. That would be the most simple way to do it, but as long as you're replacing rings, i would pull the whole block and do a full rebuild, AND if you have money or have good friends with lots of loaning money then bore it out, slap in some forged goodies, and youll be happy you took a little more time and money.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:35 AM
Banned

Yeah you will have to hone it out.... so you can get a good ring seal on it. Just take the motor out dude.. it will actually be faster

Old 02-01-2007, 06:58 AM

"the turning over of the car caused the rings to heat up and shrink when caused the no compression in the engine."

I have never in my life heard anything as far fetched as that. I dont know who told you that, but they must be smoking crack. honestly. Who told you that? The shop? theyre ****in stoned. good god. theyre just tryin to sell you a motor and give it to ya from behind dry.[:'(]Ive been trearing down rebuilding, and building engines from weed eaters to diesels in semi's to 800HP alcohol race engines in dirt late models and sprint carssince i was still in school however many years ago it was and ive never in my life heard anything even remotely close to that.
rings dont magically shrink - they wear out. If cranking it over got them that damn hot how can they handle 7500 RPM with 1200 degree exhaust gas temps without a problem?
cranking an engine over by the starter will burn upthe starter 10 times and kill 100 batteries before it damages the rings unless the thing sat for 5 years outside in the rain and was all rusty inside.
have you double checked the timing belt to make sure valve timing or bent valvesisnt causing your lack of compression? (sorry i missed the original post)you cant just magically lose the rings in all 4 cylinders like that. Rings wear out from a ****load of miles of driving or crappy oil that never gets changed.
If your gonna replace rings, rebuild the whole engine. Dont half *** it. do it once, do it right.
You gotta pull the head andhoan it, so you might as well reaplace the rod bearings, if you rgoing that far, just yank the motor, do all the bearings, rings, oil pump, balance shaft eliminator kit if you have the 4g63, have the block hot tanked and hoaned at a machine shop, new freeze plugs,all new gaskets,get the valves ground in the head and vale seals and you will basically have a brand new engine that'll outlast the car by far. If one thing is worn bad enough it wont work, the rest isnt far behind it.
just my $.02
Now if you ran it completely out of oil and locked it up, you might as well just buy another engine that runs, it'll be cheaper.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:33 AM

yup, no way i'm reading all that lol. what year and model does he have? if it's a 420a i say just drop the pan and pull the crank/rods/pistons out that way... if you are going to take the head off... just drop the whole engine. a lot easier.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:39 PM

i have a 1991 eagle talon, and the engine was rebuilt a little over 3000 miles ago i believe. but ya thats what the shop told us but they didnt charge anything for the inspection since they didnt fix anything.

Quick Reply: car wont start conclusion