2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

changed plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 01:16 AM
Default changed plugs

I changed my plugs today in my 97 eclipse gst and it does not idle well. seems to be running rich. lpugs are gapped properly is there something I am doing wrong. I changed my plugs from a bosch premium to a ngk irdium. does the ecu need to adjust? if so how do I go about this?

Old 03-22-2007, 01:22 AM
Banned
Default RE: changed plugs

Iridium is your problem.

They dont work well on DSMs. Bosch also sucks ***.

Stick with the good ole classic NGKs

Old 03-22-2007, 01:27 AM

are you sure you got the correct plugs. You might have gotten handed the plugs for the gs, or rs at the auto parts store. They are a diffrent heat range plug, and could cause the problem you are having. Then again, it could be that you dont have them torqued down. Which wouldnt allow them to seat all the way down, and make full combustion. Though i doubt this likely, Its always a possibility.
Then again, it could be that there is nothing at all wrong.

If it were me, i would check the plugs numbers by the manufactureres website. If thats correct, then i would put em back in, and check your wires, You may have one a little loose, and while it is sending enough spark to ignite the fuel air mix, it may not be sending enough to FULLY ignite.
Then again, you may have crossed some of the wires, the two/three and three/four cylinders are easy to confuse if you didnt mark them.
I guess in short what I am telling you is to double check everything... If its all good, then you are most likely fine.
Also, check the wires themselves, you may have one with a bad jacket, or with a connector that has come loose.
Just double check everything, and pay extra attention to anything that is, or was rubbing, or tightly pulled against something else. Also pay attention to anything that may be close to a high-heat source.

Good luck

Old 03-22-2007, 01:29 AM

Then again, Sebba has an excellent point!
could be nothing at all. Just iridium.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:36 AM

check ur wires where they connect to the plugs, make sure every one of them has "clicked" when you push it down. also check to make sure that one of the wires didn't come loose off of the coil distributor while changing them.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:40 AM
Banned

Im pretty sure i hit the nail on the head

Old 03-22-2007, 11:23 AM

whoa hoa, mr conceided up here! lol

Old 03-22-2007, 03:10 PM

Has anybody else ran ngk irdium plugs and had the same problem. or do I have a bad connection some where?

Old 03-22-2007, 04:43 PM

I'm not going to go with one side or the other.
Sebba seems to know what he is talking about, and I have heard of other particular motors, or brands of cars that just dont like em, so He may well be right,
I am also going to agree with RCj in that it could just be a bad connection.
Check your wires first, if you still have the problem, switch back to your old plugs and see if it goes away.
If it does, then it was the plugs

Old 03-22-2007, 06:09 PM

I just bought the NGK Premium wire set andthe Champion Iridium Plugs. Is this true for all GST's? My Spyder has been running pretty rough when I get into the gas in higher gears. I dont want to have to take everythign apart twice to change the plugs and wires again. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: changed plugs