2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

cheap power

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Default cheap power

aight so here is the deal:
i work with this dude with an accord. he thinks that his family sedan is fast cause the has an intake. he is always bragging about how he takes down civic and i'm like "1.6 v. 2.2... wow your super fast..."
so one night i was about to run with him after work. i followed him to the highway and as he got on he started to speed up. i didn't want to die that night so i had to wait until a couple of cars to pass until i could get on the higway. so when he seen me come up he started speeding up. i'm thinking hes going to slow down and he just keeps going. so i'm like ok... not worth it so got off. now he's always bragging how he "beat me" but i'm like " you didn't even wait for me to catch up".
so i'm planning to run with him soon and was wondering what little cheap stuff i could do to my car to get alittle more power.
i have a GS, andyes everyone knows that they are slow and not worth modding. i really do not plan on keepingit very long anyways. right now i have a cat-back. i had it put on way before i found out about the potential that these cars don't have. i was thinking of putting a cheap e-bay intake and changing the cone for a k&n. i read somewhere before that they really aren't too bad. and the most important thing is that its cheap. so besides that is there anything else i could do?
honestly i think i can win:
eclipse: 2.0, 140 hp, 130 torque, cat-back, and soon-to-be intake, 5 spd
accord: 2.2, 130 hp, 139 torque, intake, 5 spd
other than that i know he has a new clutch, but nothing special, just something to get his car up and running. also i know that he has more torque but i think i could still beat him. if it comes down to it, my redline is higher so i think i could get him in the end.
what do you guys think and any other little things i could do?

Old 01-23-2008, 12:48 PM
Default RE: cheap power

You should be able to beat him as is I would think. Ebay intake + K and N will work. I have had many friends that have done it. Make sure you DON'T get a CAI that puts the filter under the car or you will have to relocate the horn becuase it is in the way. Get a short ram type one. That is the best thing you can do other than make sure your spark plugs, wires airfilter and all that stuff is up to par.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:57 PM

yeah, i wasnt thinking about get a CAI cause i'm not really trying to keep it anyways. i just want to shut him up. but yeah when i got the car i had the plugs and wires changed so everythings good to go.
thanks for the reply and i'll post the results of the race. probably 2 weeks cuz of ebay shipping and all that stuff.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:58 PM

https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_26220/tm.htm

and some one told me i couldent beat a stock scion xb with my gs. err that upsets me thous things are so ugly and dont seem fast i think they have the same size moter as me to a 2.0 or they might have a 2.2 i dunno. I want to find one to run thou just to see if its true. But omg if i lose to a mobel refrigerator

Old 01-23-2008, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

If you do some free mods (dsm tuners) and up the boost 1 or 2 psi you should beat him pretty easily.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:22 PM

huh? not to sound like an ahole, but are you talking to me or infinity, cuz i have a gs so i don't have boost and i think infinity has a gs too. unless i read his post wrong.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 97gsdragon

huh? not to sound like an ahole, but are you talking to me or infinity, cuz i have a gs so i don't have boost and i think infinity has a gs too. unless i read his post wrong.
Oh sry, i missed that part, well then lol, umm is the honda have a vtec? You should be able to take him as long as your a decent driver.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

by the power to weight ratio you should be able to win. Not by much though any any of these things you add on really arnt going to make a big difference, just like his intake isnt making a big difference.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:22 PM

ORIGINAL: dorian7
You should be able to beat him as is I would think. Ebay intake + K and N will work. I have had many friends that have done it. Make sure you DON'T get a CAI that puts the filter under the car or you will have to relocate the horn becuase it is in the way. Get a short ram type one. That is the best thing you can do other than make sure your spark plugs, wires airfilter and all that stuff is up to par.
where did you hear this information? i had an AEM CAI and i never had to relocate anything.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:04 AM

From Sebba's sig. And very true.

Cheap + Reliable = Not Fast
Reliable + Fast = Not Cheap
Fast + Cheap = Not Reliable

Quick Reply: cheap power