2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Help Get Me Started

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 03:43 AM
Default Help Get Me Started

yea im kinda a newb, im only 16 but i wanna get my 98 gsx goin. i need sum advise on getting a BOV, boost controller, and an intake. or if theres anything else i should be doin. im kinda on a low budget and i need to be able to install this stuff on my own cause my dads not up for any upgrades so i have to do it without him knowin. ooh and i need to keep it street legal for a few more years

Old 09-25-2004, 09:51 PM
Default RE: Help Get Me Started

For the intake it dosn't really matter what brand, and for the bov a greddy type s is a really good bov for the price, and a boost controller it doesn't even matter pretty much anyone will hold the boost(You will need a guage for this also)

Old 09-26-2004, 07:09 PM

Yeah, nate's right. The stock intake is pretty good, adding an aftermarket peice may only be for looks. Some companies, such as Injen, make intakes that will add an additional 2-4hp, but when it's time to upgrade the turbo, the $100 intake you just bought will be useless. Just replacing the filter and box with an open element cone type filter will give about 1-3hp gain max, but the power will drop else where in the power band. Also, consider an EGT guage or A/F gauge. Or if you're really into optimizing your engine, get a pocketlogger. The pocktelogger can be a useful since it also doubles as a datalogger and can watch over many different functions. It's also rather cheap, a complete setup can cost about $200. Hope this helps, and fun with your AWD.

Old 09-27-2004, 12:04 AM

hey thanks guys. When im installing the gauges, BOV and boost controller am i gonna have any trouble doing them myself?

Old 09-27-2004, 09:09 AM

No it's simple all you do is loosen a few clamps on the bov and take the old one in and stick the new one in. And for the Boostcontroller all you do is take the pressure line and the vacuum line rom the wastgate and the turbo, and take out the old boostcontroller.

Old 09-27-2004, 08:08 PM

aight cool. i could understand a boost gauge but whats a EGT and A/F gauge gonna do for me. And how do i go about installing those. And what about those 1G BOVs, how do those work?

Old 10-31-2004, 09:43 PM

i would start with normal stuff like spark plugs, timming belt.plug wires.fuel filter oil filter.there are some things you can do that do not cost anything that will give you a little extra hp.cut the dump tube out of the intake, remove the boost control restriction out of the bcs. but yea get a boost gauge. and changing the bov will be a little harder then some clamps, cause you will need a adapter to mount it. the 1gen bov are good to use ane they are cheap, but again you will have to adapted it to your stock plastic pipe or just change it all at once.

Old 11-01-2004, 09:50 AM

Don't cut the dump tube and let the BOV shoot it into the atmosphere if you want problems with your car because it will create air fuel ration problems, because it will confuse the MAS where all the air is going. You can also buy a cheap boostcontroller, off ebay they are all pretty much the same, and a cheap intake.

Old 11-01-2004, 08:30 PM

you do not cut the dump tube off the top! it runs into the intake pipe and hangs right in the midle of it. you cut it out of the middle of the intake and free up the air runing into the turbo.

Old 11-02-2004, 01:00 AM

I just have my dump tube recirculating back into the intake, what do you have it doin?

Quick Reply: Help Get Me Started