2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 10:10 PM
Banned
Default Cold air intake

I want a cold air intake, is it possible to buy a cheap one and just put an AEM or K&N air filter on it..?
This is the one i was going to get
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-96...spagenameZWDVW
Would this fit on it
http://autopartsway.amazonwebstore.c...source=froogle

If not, can you link me a cheap intake, and a AEM or K&N that would fit on it...

Old 09-16-2008, 07:14 AM
Default RE: Cold air intake

yea you can. you wont really notice much of a difference in power when you put one on, so there's really no point to putting on an expensive one... that one will work fine, but if you're in an area where there is a lot of water and rain, i would suggest a short ram intake as to not worry about flooding your car

Old 09-16-2008, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

if you want to cheap out then just buy the filter and mount it to the stock pipe. I would never buy those cheap kist from ebay because the welds on the pipe for the hangers will break, and you could end up with serious problems. I have knowna cheapintake actually crack the intake manifold

You buy cheap you will get cheap. If you cant afford a good intake then dont get one

Old 09-18-2008, 09:29 AM

I have a quick questions while you guys are on the subject of Cold Air Intakes. I just bought a AEM long ram Cold air intake for my 1999 Eclipse. I live in upstate NY, where as you know it rains a lot. The air filter is near my driver side bumper, and front wheel well. Its semi protected from the rain and other elements, but my question is do you they make some short of a guard for the AEM filters. Should i be really worried about the water from the road getting sucked up from the filter???
I am not worried about winter, as my cars goes into a nice heated garage.

Thanks for your time,

James

Old 09-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

unless you totally submerge the filter you wont have a problem. However if you feel that this is something that may happen to you, AEM makes a great BPV that allows the water to flow out of the system prior to reaching the intake manifold. Here is a place you could purchase it from
http://www.cimotorsports.net/motor-s...***-valve.html

Old 09-18-2008, 01:05 PM

TheEngineer

Thanks for the information. I have the long ram intake, and in order for the air-bypass-valve to work, i would have to cut my intake. I am not going to be totally submerging my car in water. I was just manly considered about road water splash.

James

Old 09-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

yea if that is all your worried about then you wont have a problem. Small amounts of water getting in from splash will evaporate before they even get to the point of doing harm

Old 09-18-2008, 07:23 PM

say some one puts the BPV on. you said you have to cut the piping to insert it?

Old 09-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

yea id assume youd have to cut it so that it could be mounted inline on the piping

Old 09-18-2008, 11:29 PM

think it would have to be done professionally?

Quick Reply: Cold air intake