2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Combo question: Noisy fuel pump + auto-to-manual conv.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 09:42 PM
Default Combo question: Noisy fuel pump + auto-to-manual conv.

Since I got my car in November, there has been a rather loud, high pitched whirring noise coming from the rear of my car. My antenna hasn't been able to retract since I got the car, so I figured that it was just the antenna motor trying to retract itself all the time. Today when I was unhooking the fuel pump in order to replace my valve gasket I noticed that the noise was coming from the fuel pump assembly. After doing a little research, I found that 1.) I didn't get a definite answer, and 2.) the whirring noise is just the noise a fuel pump makes, but that a loud noise could mean something is wrong. Could anyone give me a good answer to what's up? I know I've never been in another car where I could hear the pump so noticeably.

Second question is, how much would it be to convert my auto GST to manual? And also, is it worth it or should I just sell my car and get another car? I have about $5500/6500 worth of mods in it - completely rebuilt trans(stage 1) and engine, intake, boost controller, EVOIII Big turbo, bov, intake, lowered, rims. I just know I wouldn't be able to get anything close to whats in the car I have, and I would be probably getting just enough money to get a stock GST/GSX that will probably need a new engine/trans within 30k miles and with just about no money left over to put towards getting back what I had. It just seems like I'm bending over and taking it either way. Which option has me bending over less? Or are they just both bad ideas? [sm=helpout.gif]
Think I could possibly sell my Stage 1 rebuilty auto tranny that has less than 2k on it for about the price of all the parts I'd need for a manual conversion?

Old 08-23-2008, 10:10 PM
Default RE: Combo question: Noisy fuel pump + auto-to-manual conv.

fuel pump might be on its way out. replace it and see if it makes any difference. thats weird, ive never heard that before. is it installed right?

Old 08-23-2008, 10:11 PM

and as far as the trans goes. its def worth doing if you have that put into it. and im not sure how much it would cost to do it. maybe check www.vfaq.com and that might tell you something.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Do u have a walbro fp?

Old 08-23-2008, 10:41 PM

ORIGINAL: needsagst98

fuel pump might be on its way out. replace it and see if it makes any difference. thats weird, ive never heard that before. is it installed right?

ORIGINAL: dsm1990gsx

Do u have a walbro fp?
Its stock, and it seems to be installed correctly

Old 08-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like your fp is going out and if you want a stick, your better off putting your car back to stock and selling it. Then find a stick and put your mods on that one.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:41 PM

ORIGINAL: dsm1990gsx
if you want a stick, your better off putting your car back to stock and selling it. Then find a stick and put your mods on that one.
So basically buying stock replacements for everything in the car? The only problem with that is that after buying all the stock replacement parts, I would be screwed if I wasn't able to sell my car soon or sell it for a good price - I would be doing this all on the assumption that the car would sell and I would immediately be able to find another one. Also, its pretty hard to let go of a car that only has 15k on the engine to go to a car that will probably have anywhere from 75k to 120k on the engine. And lets face it - DSMs aren't exactly known for their engines that last forever regularly.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:17 AM

There's nothing wrong with an automatic tranny. Put a high stall torque converter into it and you will shift faster and at higher points so that the turbo has time to spool before shifting.
Advantages of a manual tranny is less parasitic loss/less weight/ and you can pick the shift points. Advantage of an auto tranny (after higher stall torque converter) is you will never mis-shift/ you drive in comfort/ your car shifts faster than manual shifting/ you don't have to worry about notchy shifters/ you only need one foot/ you don't have to worry about prematurely wearing out the throw out bearing, you can drink coffee (or your choice of beverage) while driving your girl can give you a bj while driving downtown (careful not to put it into neutral though, lol)/ that's all I can think of.
Keep your car and upgrade the torque converter to a higher stall. An auto tranny doesn't mean you don't know how to drive/ it just means your free to do more while driving. lol. Seriously, keep the tranny.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:18 AM

If you think it's your antenna, disconnect the power from it. If it is already removed and you're 100% positive that you don't have a Wally high pressure pump (255hp)/ then change it to at least a 190lp or higher. You have an E316G/ why don't you already have one? Don't forget to get bigger injectors, boost gauge/ and an AFPR. If you're not ready for this/ then I hope your MBC is set to ~12psi

One more thing/ your fuel pump is under the rear seat/ not by the valve cover. What you see is the fuel filter/ not the pump.

Now keep your car and the tranny and you'll be set.
Why do you want a manual again?

Old 08-24-2008, 09:09 PM

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97
You have an E316G/ why don't you already have one? Don't forget to get bigger injectors, boost gauge/ and an AFPR.

Why do you want a manual again?
Its a matter of money - or lack of it lol. The main thing about the manual is that there's just more driver/car interaction, but you brought up an extremely valid point about coffee and road head - two things I would miss very much. I wouldn't have the money for a swap for a while anyway, so I have time to think about it.

Quick Reply: Combo question: Noisy fuel pump + auto-to-manual conv.