2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Convirtble Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 12:18 AM
Default Convirtble Problems

I have a question, why is it that my top doesnt go all the way down, I mean it goes down it looks like its all the way but I looked at some other Spyders online and their tops are different. Mine looks like its hitting the sides.

Old 10-29-2004, 03:12 AM
Default RE: Convirtble Problems

Not to sure what you are talking about. Are you referring to the rear side areas where the rubber seals are exposed out. I'm not sure if that's what you are talking about, but if so, mine is that way as well. I would have to see a picture as to what you are referring to.

Old 10-29-2004, 06:46 PM

Thanks for the reply but I found the problem, the metal was hitting the sides of the seats. I had to push it a little with my hands and it goes down all the way now.

Old 10-30-2004, 05:45 AM

Just out of curiousity, how does your top hold up in the rain? Does it leak through your seals? I have a 98 Spyder GS and it seems to leak through my seals.

Old 10-30-2004, 01:39 PM

If your car is a gen.2 spyder, chances are you need to change your weatherstripping...I have a '97 gs-t spyder, and if it pours, and then i go to drive it, whenever i made a turn water would rush out...haha..it sucks...put new weather stripping in if you have that problem, cuz they start to deteriorate real fast.

Old 11-01-2004, 03:53 PM

anybody know whats involved in taking the top motor out, cause mine is broken, has been for some time so i just put it down by hand, but i really dont mind that and if i can get rid of some dead weight, well all the better..........

Old 11-02-2004, 04:45 PM

Are you talking about the mount is is in the center directly below the engine or the mounts that are on the sides. I've replaced two so far and have another I need to put in. I haven't done it myself but I saw the mechanic replace the lower center mount. If you are going to do it by yourself, you would need to jack up your engine and then remove it, but if it's the lower one you are replacing I think it would be treaky to get to.

Old 11-02-2004, 08:38 PM

the motor that makes the convertible top go up and down [sm=dontgetit.gif] ???? is in the back behind the rear seat, i thought, not the actual engine motor mounts.............

Old 11-03-2004, 11:59 AM

I bet none of ya'll Spyders leak as bad as my LeBaron. My poor 92 GTC gets soaked on the inside when it rains. The top has holes in it, and the weather stripping is just about crappy. I hate driving in the rain with that car. It's all fun in the sun with the top down, but put it up and go through the car wash....ouch.

Old 11-04-2004, 03:29 AM

My bad 1398spdr. I was wondering too, doesn't the seals come with a brand new top? I mean they are attached to the top so wouldn't they come together, or is that also a seprate thing.

Quick Reply: Convirtble Problems