Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-63/)
-   -   CV Axle (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-63/cv-axle-41124/)

djailer 12-03-2011 12:13 PM

CV Axle

97 GST 150K. Well, I was almost home last night. I turned the corner on my street and at first I thought I just missed 2nd gear. I tried again and nothing happened...I just coasted to a stop. No noises or anything, the engine was running fine. I found I could shift into any gear without the clutch. Putting the clutch in didn't affect anything. I got out and looked behind the drivers side front wheel. I could see the shaft turning freely along with the engine? Nothing seemed to be hanging.

The clutch was just rebuilt two, three years ago and I am not hard on it - this is my daily driver. I am about to go out and take a look but I thought I would put this out there for any suggestions for when I come back in. Any thoughts about what I am going to find? What to check specifically?

Doug

djailer 12-04-2011 09:56 AM

And the reveal...The axle didn't break, but somehow it popped out of the hub.

I have had the car for three years. The previous owner says it is lowered 3" and I guess I believe it. I can't get my floor jack under it unless I get it started in the wheel well. Naturally the ride is pretty hard for a daily driver. I have stumbled into a pot hole or bump now and then and jarred my teeth but nothing else has ever come of it.

When I made the left turn I ran through a rough part in the road and somewhere between the start of the turn and after the rough spot is where I guess it popped out.

Is this something that all the stars lined up for and just happened? I figure the suspension is pretty tight and should not normally allow enough travel for the axle to pop out like that. The boot was off of the inner seal when I got the car in the air. The axle must've traveled quite a bit. When I took the hub off I noted that the joint was angled dramatically and it took a gentle tap to get it back to the center. All the bearings seem to be there and there is plenty of grease. Could it be bad anyway. I can always replace the joint but is there something else going on? I don't want to connect everything back up just to have it pop out again - this time maybe in a less convenient spot.

The other thing I am wondering is why the transmission wouldn't still work - at least somewhat? I assume the passenger side is OK, I will find out for sure when I get that side lifted. Don't both wheels get driven? If so it seems the passenger side should move when it is in gear?

Thanks for any insight.

Doug

djailer 12-04-2011 01:57 PM

I decided I will be replacing the entire axle assembly...by the time I buy the outer CV - assuming I can even find it around here - and boot I will spend as much as an entire new axle w/both joints and boots - ($95). I don't have to worry about which part was bad and I won't get as greasy!!! ! New seal for the tranny side as well. 150K is pretty much the lifespan for a CV anyway from what I have been reading. Which means time to replace the passenger side as well.

To get the axle out I used another suggestion I found...remove the lower control arms on the body side and the wheel moves out enough to get the axle in and out...barely!! Those both just bolt back on - theoretically ;)

Doug

sproutwings 12-20-2011 01:31 PM

good to see you got it worked out. thanks for the info