2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

doors unlock when engine shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Default doors unlock when engine shuts off

I have a 98 GSX with a greddy TT and a viper alarm. my problem is that when the engine shuts down my power doors unlock. which makes the TT pointless. I either have to set the TT on ten min. lock the doors and then be back before it shuts down or sit there and wait for the car and then lock the doors. when i bought the car several years ago the alarm was already installed and there is no paperwork and I cant get ahold of the previous owner. I have looked everywhere online for help with no luck. if anyone can help me out or point me in the right direction. thanks

Old 01-28-2008, 09:22 AM
Default RE: doors unlock when engine shuts off

I apologize in advance if my answer seems redundant and obvious. But it seems to be an electrical problem rather than mechanical. Something may be wrong with the circuit board. Or perhaps the wires. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. I do hope someone knows about this could guide you further. One thing for sure, don't take it to the mechanic if you HAVE to. They'll always pretend they're doing a lot of work and charge you 200+ for ****s and giggles. It's probably something very simple you can fix yourself given where to look.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:19 AM

all you can do is find the main board for the alarm, which is usually under the driver side dash, by the steering column, and follow the wires and see which ones are right and which ones are wrong. has the car always done this? or did it just start recently? and yeah you'd have to get the wiring diagram for the viper alarm install. and all you can do is follow them and see where they go
wiring problems are never easy especially if there sum1 else's f***ups

Old 01-28-2008, 12:57 PM

yeah the doors have always done this since i bought it from the previous owner. I take it he didnt care to much about it. there was no TT in the car when he had it and he was more into the bass thumping aspect. he told me he was selling it to get a honda civic so im sure you can tell what kind of car guy he was. i wasnt sure if it was an after market thing or if it was the car because i know new cars automatically unlock too. I guess im going to have to bite the bullet and go get a new alarm. it was broken into a little while ago and they crushed the siren and stole all my gauges anyway. people are such a**holes

Old 01-28-2008, 10:40 PM

that's one great alarm you got then,haha mine is loud as f*** and scares ppl off so i'm good, on the other hand i got shaved door handles so most ppl don't even bother fu**in' with it, and yeah i's get a new alarm if I were you

Old 01-29-2008, 08:48 AM

the thing about that is though as im sure you already knowif there is no one around to hear it, it doesnt matter how loud the alarm is.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

i have a question. Do your doors lock automatically when you start driving. Cuz i know some alarm systems will auto lock when driving and then auto unlock when the car is turned off. So im wondering if its just something to do with the programming of the alarm and not necessarily a wiring issue.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:38 PM

If its a Viper alarm system it can be set to not auto lock with eng and eng cut off. As far as the turbo timer thing that should be able to change the time using a bit writer. If you go to your local best buy, they have one there. Any time you lose battery power for a long period it can cause it to go back to what is the factory settings which includes auto lock and unlock with ing. Also if the alarm is not set up with keyless entry then you wont be able to unlock the car using the factory keyless or key with out setting off the alarm because in order to install the alarm/remotestart/turbo timer you have to bypass the factory alarm/keyless entry and therefor when you remote start it, it is bypassing the factory alarm and therefor factory keyless entry wont work. You can have best buy hook up keyless using the alarm solving this problem for about 40 bucks.

Your alarm sounds like it is working properly, and if you need a new alarm horn I have an extra one if you want it.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:01 PM

yes the alarm locks the doors as soon as i start the car so i have to make sure that i unlock them before i leave the car.. like starting at my house then going back in. and yea that would be decent of you. i start a new job on monday so let me get some money together and we can figure out shipping if you still dont mind letting me get that alarm horn

Old 01-30-2008, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Yea id say nothing is really functioning incorrectly. All you have to do is figure out how to disable the feature of having the alarm system automatically unlock the doors when the car is off. To do that your gonna have to try and find a manual for the viper alarm and maybe just disconnect whatever wire is controlling that.

Thats the only thing i can think of