2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

The drivetrains on GST and GSX...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 11:16 PM
Default The drivetrains on GST and GSX...

Im new here and waiting on my tax returns to get a GSX. I was wondering though, I know the GST and GSX have the same power output. Does the GST have any disadvantages being a FWD? I know the technical difference between AWD and FWD already. I wouldnt mind a GST if there wasnt a big difference in driveability between the 2. I havent driven either models but I was just curious. More than likely ill end up driving both and comparing before I make my choice. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-13-2006, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: The drivetrains on GST and GSX...

well if your talking about a race then the awd from a stop has the advantage over the fwd becuase of traction. Also the awd will have better turning and control in snow or rain than the fwd. The fwd will be faster from a roll.

Old 02-13-2006, 11:46 PM

the AWD will vibrate more at low RPMs but the FWD will lose traction easy and after some modding it will be hard to get traction at all... The GSX AWD will have amazing traction almost always even at 300WHP you can florr it an maybe get a 2nd gear churp from the tires but that is it unless you do donuts which is possible with power going to the rear wheels

Old 02-14-2006, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator

Basically the GSX is going to hold the ground with the tires better. It'll grip and get up and go better off the line but you also have the disadvantage of weight and the power lost due to having to push more weight and make more wheels turn. It's a give and take situation. To gain somewhere you lose elsewhere.

Old 02-14-2006, 03:05 AM

Thanks ppl, thats exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I have 2 choices...96 GSX with 126k for $10.8k or 97 GST with 77k for $7.9k. I want to wait for my money before I look at either. Im expecting it some time this week...thanks again, your info is helpful.

Old 02-14-2006, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

Dude if you get EITHER of those cars for THAT price I'm gonna beat you sensless (Not that you'd be far from it) That's WAY over priced for BOTH... Make sure you talk the guy down. Check KBB.com for current values of the cars. You're getting ripped at that price. Also make sure you do a carfax on whatever one you DO decide on. Best bet is to do a bit more searching look around you'll likely find some of the same cars around for ALOT cheaper that have minor problems (Find one with a blown had gasket pick it up for not even 1/4 the price and get the head job done and for 1/3 the price you were GOING to pay you've got just as good a car ). Remember Dealership = satan lol... Unless it's a private seller getting rid of a show quality car don't pay ANYWHERE near that.

Old 02-14-2006, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Ok yea, the 96 GSX is definetly a rip off, unless the thing has a 6-bolt swap or something. cuz i sold my 95 TSI-AWD with 130k on it for 4,800 w/ some good mods on it. You can definetely find better prices. As for the GST that seems a bit high as well, i would think it to be somewhere in the low 6k range. Just because it does have relatively low miles.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:22 AM

from owning a FWD 97 GS-T id go GS-T, unless your gana be maken 450 WHP n up you really can overcome the traction issues easy. with some adjustable shocks n stiffer springs n good tires. i wish i would have raced a stock GSX with my GS-T stock n i bet could beat it.it all comes down to drive n the GS-T is lighter than the GSX. im running Tein H Type springs , KYB adjustables n 18inch Toyo RA1 tires n my car freaking hooks

Old 02-14-2006, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: domestickilla

from owning a FWD 97 GS-T id go GS-T, unless your gana be maken 450 WHP n up you really can overcome the traction issues easy. with some adjustable shocks n stiffer springs n good tires. i wish i would have raced a stock GSX with my GS-T stock n i bet could beat it.it all comes down to drive n the GS-T is lighter than the GSX. im running Tein H Type springs , KYB adjustables n 18inch Toyo RA1 tires n my car freaking hooks
This is al good for traction but you could never out launch a gsx with a gs-t. The great thing about AWD is messing around in snow or rain or even on a dry road sometimes you can kick out the back end. But thats just all fun stuff. As i said the launch of an awd car will always win unless you have drag radials or something

Old 02-14-2006, 03:12 PM

ORIGINAL: kaiba408

Thanks ppl, thats exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I have 2 choices...96 GSX with 126k for $10.8k or 97 GST with 77k for $7.9k. I want to wait for my money before I look at either. Im expecting it some time this week...thanks again, your info is helpful.
OMG what a rip for both cars. The engineer sold his 95 TSi AWD for $4500 with 135K so that is doubled what it should cost... unless it has a 6 bolt swap with low miles

Quick Reply: The drivetrains on GST and GSX...