2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Eclipse vs Jetta

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 01:21 PM
Default RE: Eclipse vs Jetta

those are fun cars... Guy from school had one. Question is what is causing the bearing failure? look into that first. look at the old bearings look at the wear marks. see if they look like normal wear and tear or maybe something else is the cause. id suggest a rebuild... but thats only because it is less likely to fail. But money is always an issue.

Old 10-07-2004, 02:38 PM

Thanks for the reply wildwest....most people that don't like Hondas like
Preludes, cause they're always the nicest of the Hondas. I've heard someone say that a Prelude shouldn't be a Honda, cause it deserves better. LOL. I might do the rebuild thing, if I can afford it and my uncle who is a great mechanic says the new bearing won't work. Someone told me that it could be a bad oil pump, but the guy I got the car from said it was fine. I drove a friend of mine's 86 Prelude auto. (that's who gave me the car) It was rather peppy for a 110hp car, and could turn on a dime. The reason those older preludes have some zest in them is b/c they are so lightweight. They weight less than 2400 lbs. Since you've driven one, do you think it would be worth rebuilding the motor and keeping the car? I know Hondas are very reliable, so it might be worth it. Plus, the body is in super great conditon, it was pampered or something and it's a sharp looking car. One more question for ya. I got a 92 LeBaron GTC with a Mitsubishi V6 auto. The V6 has like 141hp and 171ft/lb torque. The Lude has 110hp and 114ft/lb torque. The LeBaron weighs 3010 lbs. and the Lude weighs about 2400lbs. This may be a really dumb question, but by looking at those numbers, do you think the prelude would stand a chance against my LeBaron as far as acceleration? The LeBaron is a torquey beast and does a burnout just from a standstill takeoff, but it's super heavy. Which would you think is faster?

Old 10-07-2004, 03:27 PM

the Lude would probly win in a 0-60ft. race because of the lighter weight, thats how the car was designed, but in a 1/4 the LeBaron would most likely outrun the Lude due to the higher amount of hp/tq, a buddy of mine had a 88 lude and he smoke me thru the first about 75-80 ft. then when i hit the powerband in third i just flew past him, my spdr has about the same amount of hp/little less tq than that v6, thats why i say the lebaron would most likely win...........

Old 10-07-2004, 03:43 PM

the prelude is quick but excels in handling... i raced the guy from school when he was getting her back from the dealership after blowing a cv joint. I had him from first gear on. But 100 hp makes a big diff... Id say the prelude though for a real short race, as long as you learn to launch it. and stay away from low profile tires. after 40mph i think the lebaron would catch back up.

the weight diff is just too great.

Old 10-07-2004, 03:52 PM

Mitsubishi knows how make a great V6 don't they? Those Honda V6's have lots of hp, but no torque. My 3.0 Mitsu V6 has like 141hp and 171lb/ft. of torque. That's actually more hp and torque than a V6 camaro of the same year, plus my car weighs less. My LeBaron's no 10 second car, or a VTEC killer, but it can straight up haul butt. Alot of people are surprised when i tell them my car has a 6 cylinder motor, but they're even more surprised when they see it's a Mitsubishi. It's cool the way mitsubishi and Chrysler joined forces. The only down side is that they started putting chrysler auto tranny's in the eclipses and that's just no good. Chrysler makes crap auto tranny's. Mine is about to give out on me. Yeah, I figured that the lude would have me off the line, just cause my car would be spinning tires for a sec, then it would catch back up when the 141hp comes into play. Thanks for the replys guys.

Old 10-07-2004, 03:56 PM

if u ever line em up let us know how it goes............

Old 10-07-2004, 04:02 PM

Sadly enough, it's never gonna happen. Ya see, I was in an accident about a month ago. I was driving the LeBaron down the road and this Jeep pulled out in front of me and hit me. Smashed my front passenger side up something terrible. Their insurance company is giving me some crap about only being 85% responsible for the damage and their gonna take me LeBaron and give a check for 85% of the cars value. Isn't that crap? I'm gonna put the money from the check into the lude hopefully. If I get it running, I'll let you guys know how it goes. I could've raced another 86 prelude that belonged to a girl I knew. It was just like my 86, but hers was auto. She probably would have won in a short distance race, but when it comes to the long haul, my car would leave her behind once I hit 3rd gear. Her car was wrecked cause someone pulled out in front of her a couple months ago....coincidence? We're both okay, but she lost her lude and I lost my convertible, both were our babys. Man, that LeBaron had so many memorys in it. I drove it to my senior prom and everything. Well, thaks for the help guys. Ya'll are alot more respectful than the guys over at superhonda.com. They flame you for asking questions that they don't like!

Old 10-07-2004, 04:10 PM

we won't flame you for stupid questions... only bad attitudes or for being a spoiled rich brat. (you will have to look around more to understand)

Glad to have people like you around...

Old 10-07-2004, 04:15 PM

yea, and besides even some of the stupid questions can make for an interesting conversation, some of us really have nothing better to do..............hehe.......

Old 10-08-2004, 12:29 PM

Nothing better to do???? What???? well....thats true....

I like the 97+ ludes, they look cool, but just need a more performance based drivetrain. Like RWD......or even AWD. The Type-SH are pretty cool, but too many electronics for my tastes, I'm a frim believer in there shouldn't be anything interupting power from the tranny to the ground. But they're still cool.

Quick Reply: Eclipse vs Jetta