2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

ECU QUESTIONS I'M A NEWBIE

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 02:04 AM
Default ECU QUESTIONS I'M A NEWBIE

Hello everyone, I need help I'm sure all you guys will think I'm a poser,,but iTS OKAY,,I was wondering I have about $1000 ready to spend so far on my 1997 Mitsubishi eclipse GST have modified intake and exhaust, my question is shoule I chip the car? To be honest with you I say that is because it sounded cool but I have no idea if it is money well spent,,,what is the side effects if or when i do it. Will it help me to go faster? how faster? Or upgrading the turbo first? The thing is I want my car to go faster than what is doing right now. And also I have stock turbo right now any recommendation to boost the turbo? And how does it work? All in all is chipping the car? Just sound cool? or does it really do something? At least i can sound smart when some one ask me about it,,hehe. VERY VERY SERIOUS THOUGH THANX ALOT !!!

Old 06-17-2005, 05:07 AM
Default RE: ECU QUESTIONS I'M A NEWBIE

Personally, i think that you should get a better blow off valve (BOV) and get some more boost out of ur turbo. get some new injectors, and you can safely run around 15 pounds of boost. That should definately make it faster.

Old 06-17-2005, 09:34 AM

As far as a blow-off valve goes, Their primary purpose is to release boost pressure when you abruptly let off the throttle so you can salvage a little momentum from your impeller between shifts. The performance gain is marginal and is not exactly where I would put my thousand. You are on the right track making it breathe better. Think about a downpipe to finish the exhaust. A front mount intercooler (FMIC) will give you gains in HP you can feel as well. Buy it as a complete kit and it will come complete with large diameter plumbing which brings us back to breathing better. (It even comes with a little fitting you can unplug to put your blowoff valve). Your stock ECU will handle these basic modifications without needing to go to a chip. Make sure you keep up on the maintenance of you car, including fuel filter! A final thought though; You are going to get alot of replies on this topic, everyone has their suggestions, do your research and make your own conclusions. If you are going to modify, you need to have an understanding of what makes your engine thrive, and a mechanical inclination to be able to tear something down, rebuild it, and not have extra fasteners when you are finished! So educate yourself, and check this website for parts and if you have questions about how things work, ask.[sm=gears.gif]

Old 06-17-2005, 09:35 AM
Old 06-17-2005, 12:49 PM

From someone who has fully built 3 dsms myself, I can tell you exactly what to buy in what order if you want your money well spent. Forget about a chip, dsm's dont get chips for power.

a) Get a boost gauge ($50)
1. Get a no name air filter/adapter ($50)
2. Get an upper ic pipe ($70)
3. Get a 1g blow off valve ($50)
4. Get a manual boost controller ($50)
5. Get a catback exhaust ($300-400)
5. Get a downpipe/high flow cat ($300)

At this point you've only spent around $900 and you are running 13 second quarter miles. By now you will need a bigger fuel pump($100) and a stronger clutch (expensive) You will never stop modding once you are hooked, but TRUST me do your mods in roughly this order, and dont spend much more than the prices I jus listed. On my first DSM I spend way too much money, and its just not worth it because cost doesnt really affect anything except your wallet. Keep your eyes open and you can find good deals, nothin wrong with buying used either unless its like a fuel pump or an air filter.

Old 06-17-2005, 11:56 PM

go for the turbo / turbo systems first, forget about the brain chips.

Old 06-20-2005, 11:46 PM

Wow DSMTalonAWD51 thank you for your recommendation, well what about the ECU I didn't see anybody really talk about that is it like a lame thing to do to a car? And when I do get the boost controller how does it work?Do I set it myself? Thanx for the help.

Old 06-20-2005, 11:47 PM

oh by the way DSMTalonAWD51

I feel stupid for asking you this but what the heck is DSM??? oh also someone told me that I should get a new intercooler but I've notice that you didn't say that just to get the ic pipe? Can you explain how and where this will take place? thanx

Old 06-21-2005, 09:59 AM

DSM is short for Diamond Star Motors an allience between chrysler and mitsu. oh and DSM i found 1 thing wrong with what you told him if he is getting a catback exhaust why dose he need a high flow cat as well? seams like spending money for somthing twice.

Old 06-23-2005, 05:30 PM

Where is the fun in having someone map out your modifications for you? Well, to each his own, but for me ALL the fun is learning how different systems work, finding the best parts for my driving style and torque needs, and applying them. Thats what makes a car original and something you can call your own. Thats what makes it such a labor of love; Right?

Quick Reply: ECU QUESTIONS I'M A NEWBIE