2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 07:19 AM
Default Engine Swap

I own a 99 Eclipse RS and eventually I'm going to swap the engine out for something...well turbo'd. I'm joining the military soon and I'll have the money and skills to make the swap. I just want know if there is any good engine besides the 4G63 that I can shove in there. Or if I even can.

And no, I'm not buying a GS-T or GSX. I'm going to swap the engine....Simple as that....Well and probably putting in a better trans.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Default RE: Engine Swap

No.

Well.... with heavy fabrication you can.
But theres absolutely no point behind it at all.
*Dr. *** voice*
Newbie, i'm going to say this as nice as I can, you're exostence bother my very well being, so please use our search feature, this very same question is asked entirely too much.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

not worth it to do the swap unless your very good at fabricating yourself, and you have a complete 1g donor car to takes the parts from, otherwise the cost is not worth it at all. I dont understand why people dont look at a cost evaluation on stuff like this. The cost of your car plus the swap will be alot greater than buying a gst total. Not to mention what youd get for your car. So what is thepoint in spending the extra money. "Simple as that"

Old 05-20-2007, 12:38 PM

ONE Word - Search

Old 05-20-2007, 12:56 PM

I did a search right after I posted this. In one forum it said it wouldn't be that hard to stick an Evo 4-8 engine in the thing. I was also thinking about using the SRT-4's A855 which is the same family of engines as the A420.

I pretty much consulted my friend aswell. He is mechanic in the air force and he pretty much said I can shove any inline 4 into the bay just as long as I want to make the mods. Also I don't see how it would be very money consuming if I already have the tools and labor.

A engine.... and if I use 4G63 a wrecked donor car from a junk yard thats pretty much it. And if you haven't notice a lot of stupid 16 year olds wreck Eclipses like destruction derby cars.
I knew someone who cranked one engine and then blew up the other by running entirely too much boost and just sold the car off for parts cheap.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:54 PM

well u have to think how much heavyer that engine is then the 420a....FRAME Strenth

Old 05-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Banned

Well against the advice of everyone here....

I take it you want to make a fast car right? And in order to do that... the RS platform is not practical. I dont see what the difficult part is

Old 05-20-2007, 05:43 PM

Easy on the new guy, guys. Calling him stubborn is one thing, but to call him a dick for not adhering to what y'all are saying is uncalled for.....

Old 05-20-2007, 05:48 PM
Banned

Taken care of

Old 05-20-2007, 06:02 PM

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

Easy on the new guy, guys. Calling him stubborn is one thing, but to call him a dick for not adhering to what y'all are saying is uncalled for.....

All I did was a Scrubs voice, and who does'nt love Scrubs?

This
God dam....****ing a do a dam search...there are lots of you newbs asking the same deal...

ONE Word - Search
Was WAAAYYY uncalled for.

Quick Reply: Engine Swap